Thread: The Flip Stick for small box hinges....

The Flip Stick for small box hinges....

In Fine Woodworking #201 there was an article called a Better way to Build Boxes.

It was overall a good article but one thing at the end of the article was a write up on the Flip Stick for installing hinges. What a great little idea and way to install small box hinges.

The basics of the Flip stick is to cut a piece of scrap the same length as the box is wide. Then mark the scrap at the point you want one of the hinges, both width and depth.

Now on the table saw set the blade height to the depth of the hinge and knibble away the width, you are cutting a notch in the scrap. Check the fit of the hinge in the scrap.

Now use this Flip stick to set up your router table, set the depth and the height of the bit and a stop on each side. Set one stop for the right side of the hinge and then one for the left side.

Now take the lid for your box and rout out the area for the hinge, then the bottom of the box and rout it out. Now Flip the stick and reset the stops for the other hinge. Rout the top and the bottom and that's it.

Just square the corners with a chisel and install the hinges. It is so easy and the hinges fit so good, the top and bottom are lined up perfect.

It is really neat to learn new ways of doing things

Bill,
    I read that article and it was by Doug Stowe. If anyone knows boxes it is him! He has put lots of ingenious things into writing over the years. You way want to check out one of his books. They are all great...yes I have them all!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Bill,
    I read that article and it was by Doug Stowe. If anyone knows boxes it is him! He has put lots of ingenious things into writing over the years. You way want to check out one of his books. They are all great...yes I have them all!
    Thanks, for that info, I will have to order one of his books on boxes. His Flip Stick idea is so good I hate to think what other things he has up his sleeve.

Neat idea, kind of like a story pole/setup jig for hinges, I like it thanks for posting Bill!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Doug Stowe DVD

I know it's been mentioned before, but I can't say enough about Doug Stowe's books. He also has a fantastic DVD out:

Basic Box Making

I HIGHLY recommend it. He is indeed an ingenious and resourceful fellow. I almost feel ashamed that he does the work he does with a piece of plywood for a router table, an old drill bit for an indexing pin, and several 40 year old pieces of equipment.