Thread: Box of persimmon and blackwood

Box of persimmon and blackwood

I really should have taken a before picture of the piece of wood I used for this box's sides. It was the end of a persimmon board that twisted and bowed maybe 90 degrees. This was clearly unstackable and not saleable, so off came the end and into Tom's Private Stash. Oh, it was the crotchy stuff that made it warp. ;-)

I jointed one edge enough to keep it stable on the BS and trimmed and resawed until I had a section 18" long by maybe an inch thick and 4" or so wide. Glue on the holly and African blackwood borders, resaw again to get the book match at each corner, install purpleheart bottom, assemble, shellac, buff, make top from another persimmon crotch, voila'.

The top opens by pressing down on either end. It is a simple design, almost painfully simple, but that is the kind of design that lets you play with different wood combinations. Others are in the works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom,
    Clever design on the top and great execution on the box itself. I will be looking forward to your future projects.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Really nice tom. The lighter edge line, which I am assuming is holly, really sets the contrast for the blackwood and persimmon. Thanks for sharing.
    I take big parts, cut them into little parts, and glue back into big parts.

The circle of life.

Excellent job, Tom. I just mentioned to Bill with his box that I just finished a set of them which are my first. I was going to post them tomorrow but I may wait a month or so as you guys seem to be on a roll with nice boxes and mine might be considered a "chain-saw special" in comparison.

Again... extremely nice.

Sarge..

Tom, the contrast in the wood selection is striking! Very nice.

Wow, that's stunning. I really love it. I'm glad you fought the wood and brought it into submission because from my perspective, it was worth the effort. Great job.

See now, that ain't right. Always keeping the good stuff for yourself. You'd think you own the place or something.

Oh, and nice job on the box.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Tom,

Very nice, understated elegance is my favorite style . . .

Good job
    MARK

Very nice piece, Tom. I don't recall seeing any other pieces using persimmon. I was give about 75 ft of persimmon some time back and want to make some into a wall clock case. (One of my many 'roundtuit' projects.)
    And now for something completely different....

I really like that lid, that is so neat.

The box looks great looking also, that grain is so different then most grains it really adds to the look.

Wow...I really like that! Nice work and great looking material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    See now, that ain't right. Always keeping the good stuff for yourself. You'd think you own the place or something.

Oh, and nice job on the box.

You coulda called or something if you had such a bad piece of wood. I'm sure me or Gary woulda taken it off your hands.

Nice looking box!
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

+1 on what everyone else said. I really like the clever idea for opening the lid. Very unusual. Original idea?