Thread: Second attempt with McNaughton

Second attempt with McNaughton

While I was waiting for the poplar bowls to cure that were my first coring project, I bought some cured honey locust on ebay and got busy. It only took me about three hours to accomplish what Bill Grumbine could have done in less than one. The bowls measure - large=8w x 2 3/4t, medium=5 7/8w x 1 3/4t, and small= 4 1/8w x 1 1/8t. I'm still caught in that infamous learning curve (like trying to control those entry catches), but more practice is all it takes. RIGHT Tell me what you think about the bowls and/or any advise on using the McNaughton system........Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

The bowls look pretty good. If your having a problem with entry catches then maybe your tool is ground wrong. That should not be a problem. Does your tool have a diamond tip, or is it ground straight across? Also make sure the angle is not steeper than 70 degrees. It wants to have a fairly "blunt" tip so it is not too aggressive. One more thing, Bill likes to hold the tool on the outside to get and idea of how to start the cut. I used to do it that way and it worked quite well. But now I simply line up the tool so it is parallel with the outside curve of the bowl. Hope that helps.
    Wyatt
    Last edited by Wyatt Holm; 01-24-2009 at 1:35 PM.

Those are some great looking bowls. Well done. Can't help you with your problem.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

coring

When you first enter the piece you need to hqave the tip exactly perpendicular to the surface then start the curve but on entry square on..

Nice bowls Tony!
    I normally back the gate away from the blank by enough to lock the chisel in the vertical position. If it is too close the chisel can tip to the side because of the dip in the end of the chisel and cause catches. I don't know if that is the issue you are having but it caused me some problems before I figured it out.
    Good luck and keep practicing. (I wouldn't wait for seasoned wood -greens fine!)

Nice work on the bowls Tony! No idea on the coring process as I have yet to try it. Pete Jordan sent me his system to use over the winter and once I get all these hollow form blanks taken care of I plan on trying the coring system out! So far - it looks like you are doing great!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Those four bowls nesting together are SLICK! I've seen videos but never first hand on that operation. Might be something to look in to. Thanks for posted...keep us informed. jg

Nice looking set there!! Cant help with the Mcnaughton system, I bought the Woodcut Bowl saver and its been stupid easy to use and learn. Your system is supposed to be more versatile though.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Thanks for the comments and advise on the McNaughton system, and on the bowls I cored. Maybe more experience will bring better results.....Tony

Your second effort? Really??? Three pieces from a 3 inch thick blank?? As a hard core (pun intended) finatic, that is great!!! Expecially with the black locust. It is a really hard wood, and will chatter and catch much more than softer woods, and it is one wood that I specifically recomend to save until you have more coring experience. It does get better as you continue. Do make sure that the cutter is at or slightly above center height. I made an end grain turned collar to go under the tool rest to keep it at center height so I didn't have to adjust it every time. I like higher speeds (500 to 1000, depending on size), as the tool seems to cut easier, but do work your way up slowly, if you feel comfortable.
    robo hippy