Thread: The full size table - the beggining

The full size table - the beggining

From my blog:

Now I start the full-size table. This table will be 2X the size of this one I shared here, and submitted to the Winter 2009 Woodworking Awards at Lumberjocks:

But I will change the edge treatment as follows:

I want to be able do preliminary grain matching, before cutting the boards closer to size. Since at this stage I am *not* flattening the boards, the #3 is perfect and fast for the job:

Rough boards are not perfectly flat, so my planing stop did not do its job. Time to bring out something more substantial - the Gramercy holdfast - one good WHACK!, and I can resume planing:

Cleaned up, so I could use the floor to match the boards before cutting them to length plus about 6 inches:

Now I can better match the boards, and decide where to cut them:

Once cut, I use the power jointer and planer to make these perfectly flat. The edges needed a little tweaking, so I used the "other" jointer, to create a little "spring" in the joint, to minimize the risk of gaps developing near the ends of the table; the boards in the clamps are already done, and the surface between them is perfectly flat; but I still must do the third and fourth boards:

At the end of the day I * had * to peek at the grain on one of the boards for the aprons:

The build continues... Thanks for following along!

Last edited by Al Navas; 01-26-2009 at 8:56 PM.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Cool thread, Al.

I love watching projects come to life!!

Al, thanks for the pictures and explanation of your work. Seeing and reading about the techniques of others is one of the major perks of Sawmill Creek. I, for one, greatly appreciate the time and effort it takes to document your work for us to see and always learn something that I can incorporate into my own work. Perhaps some day I'll be proficient enough to share my own techniques.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

nice!

Nice post good pictures that is going to be one fine table! Good luck ! George

I also want to thank you for the time and effort it takes to share the process with us. I love the hybrid power tool/ hand tool method of work.

How thick is that top going to be? Is it also QSWO? I couldn't quite tell from the pictures.

Also, what type of flooring/matting is that?

Thanks

Good start!

It is insirational to see you working those planes! I'll bet you made the workbench , too! Please keep posting progress.
    TB

Alex, Don, and George,
    Thank you all! I appreciate your comments - I will post as I make progress on this table, and on the stand-up desk. I love sharing my work with anyone who is willing to take the time to read my ramblings...

Rob,
    The table top will be a full 1-1/2 inches thick, in QS white oak. The flooring in the shop is vinyl garage flooring, under which we installed carpet padding. It makes it easy on the ankles and knees, and provides quite a bit of insulation, too.

Thomas,
    The workbench is the large, older model Sjobergs than the largest available today. I have never tackled making one, although I might make a Roubo, similar to Jameel Abraham's, at some point in the future.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Keep the photo updates coming Al. I always appreciate seeing your projects. Thanks for taking the extra time to share the process with everyone.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey