Thread: Router Bit Gloat

Router Bit Gloat

Greetings & Salutations,

Over the weekend I stopped into a pawn shop that I browse in now and then usually looking for a good buy on a gun or rifle but always walk thru the tool section as well.

This time I happened on a set of 80 router bits all with a 1/2" shank in a metal brief case type case. The brand is not apparent to me but they are all new and there were 2 bits missing but there was one extra crown molding bit that was laying in the case so I figured that was kind of a trade off for the 2 missing ones.

Well the price that was maked on the set was $150.00 but I never, ever pay a marked price in a pawn shop. Just a little habit of mine.

So I started to work on the guy a little and got him down to $100.00 but was not satisfied so I told him I would have to think and headed out the door. I was about to get in the truck and head on up to the Borg in Jonesboro which is where I was headed in the first place when he poped out the door and said come on back in and lets talk some more.

He let it slip that he had had this set almost 2 months so I started playing hard ball then. Long story short I ended up at $40.00 bucks and said thank you very much.

Even though they are not a name brand I figured I got a pretty good deal especially since they are all 1/2" shank which is what I prefer.

Since it didn't happen with no pics here they are.

DSCN16552009-01-26-130857.jpg

DSCN16562009-01-26-130921.jpg

Gene
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

nice deal (steal) for 40

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    nice deal (steal) for 40

Wonder where they were stolen from?

I see sets like this one on Craigslist all the time for about double that price, advertised as new and unopened...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I see sets like this one on Craigslist all the time for about double that price, advertised as new and unopened...
    Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I still get tricked and open that C.L. post every time.

Let us know how they perform!!!

Al

Wish I had one of those "YOU SUCK" pics I could use.

What a deal, even if they are not name brand cutters.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Good deal

I saw those "suitcases" full of router bits recently at the Columbus, Ohio woodworking show. They had hundreds of the same bits selling for 5 for $20.00. I noticed the carbide was really thin. , probably enough for one sharpening....who cares! I bought a bunch of them to use as throw-aways. $40.00 is a great deal!
    TB

Greetings & Salutations,

I haven't had a chance to use any of them yet but may in the next day or two as I am building an entertainment center for a friend and I am going to make my own trim moldings.

I thought they might be kind of cheap as well but upon inspection especially on the larger bits the carbide is quite thick.

Will get back after using a couple and see what the verdict is.

Gene
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.