Thread: Any one remember that tree limb I cut that knocked me...

Any one remember that tree limb I cut that knocked me...

off the ladder while I had the chainsaw running in my hands a couple years ago?
    I had it in chunks outside by the garage. With losing power for about 6 1/2 hours today, and the threat of ice tomorrow and Wed, I needed some bigger pieces of wood to burn than the 2" dead fall I've been burning. So I took 3 chunks that ranged from 8" to 11" in diameter to the band saw. I figured it would be much easier, less waste, and I could do it inside the shop instead of outside with the chainsaw, if I could even get it started.
    This is what I found: DSCN2213.jpg I sliced a thin (1/4") slice off one of the cut pieces to keep in the shop. It's reddish with a cream sapwood. Not heavy hardwood, but I don't get much indention with my thumbnail. We were told that it is Cedar Elm, but I really have no idea. I'm going to keep one chunk and play with making a bandsaw box. I think it might finish out and look kind of interesting.
    Well, the next tree that has to come down is a pear tree. Wonder what that will look like? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Split firewood is a strange thing...one minute its firewood the next its wow look at that quartersawn figure...can i save that piece?

I have a few bits of pear - it's fantastic looking stuff. Intermingled swirls of red and light cream colored wood. I'd compare it in density to cedar, which is probably a little less dense, but not much. Hardness isn't bad - about like you describe. It's still drying but when it's ready I have a handful of penblanks to play with
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Can't really tell you what it is, Jim, but I'd say cedar elm it isn't. Cedar elm is as hard as nails; it falls into the rock elm category. And it makes real good firewood. Over at De Leon I know a guy who said he sold 900 cords of cedar elm firewood off his place. I saw the place - river bottom - and the cleared acreage and I would believe it.
    And now for something completely different....

Ive got some stuff that looks like that that I took of an old jobsite. It was dunnage for a metal building that was shipped in.

Anyway, I was told it was most likely hackberry. Stuff was dense and heavy though. They are dead ringers, looks-wise.

Definitely an Elm...looks like Red Elm to me. I've turned a bunch of it and even sliced some short logs into 4/4 planks. The spalting can be pretty dramatic and I see yours is displaying some. The atached pic is a box I made from spalted Red Elm. The trim is Mesquite.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln