Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DoubleSided tape....

DoubleSided tape....

I've tried several types from different manufactures, and have not found any that works well for most uses. some too thick(foamy), some not sticky enough.... so..
    what type(brand name/manufacturer) do you fellas use? I'm all ears..
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

Blog Entries
    The "turner's tape" that Rockler carries (item 50492) is very thin and grips very tight. I use it to hold templates to panels for the router table. It took me awhile to realize that if I pressed the items together too well, they were murder to get apart.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Do a search for Scotch VHB, (very high bond) not easily found in stores. No comparison to the consumer brands.

Use a roller to apply pressure. I've destroyed aluminum trim and drywall trying to remove it.

For woodworking I use 3M Scotch Double Sided Tape #665. It will hold templates very well but you will not ruin the wood fiber finish when you pull it off. That tape is thin, not like the spongy types.

I tried a few in the past that pulled apart the good wood surface - not good.
    Kev

I've used 3M mounting tape but found that it was too thick for most of the things I wanted to use it for. I've had good luck with Harbor Freight(45882) mounting tape which I'd say is about half as thick as the 3m. Both are rated at being able to hold up 2lbs. This weekend, I bought a roll of Harbor Freight(95072) 2" wide double sided carpet tape. I haven't had a chance to use it yet so I can't say ya or nay as to how well it works but it is very thin.

I have had pretty good luck using carpet tape I bought at the local Borg or my local Ace Hardware. It is thin and seems to hold well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Klingspor has fabric tape. Thin and holds well, releases well with very little residue.

we use a nice 2 sided mastic tape that works great for templates, setting drawer fronts, etc.
    It's made by "achor".
    great stuff to have around the shop.
    mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have had pretty good luck using carpet tape I bought at the local Borg or my local Ace Hardware. It is thin and seems to hold well.
    +1 on that. I'll get the pieces together, do the work, then get the tape off. If left on too long it will leave gum on the wood.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I too use double sided carpet tape.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Permacell - nothing else. Will rip off the face of melamine. $20. a roll.

I have tried some different ones and have settled on the tape that Eagle America sells.

There is some out there that is really had to get off and leave some of the sticky stuff to the wood.

The tape I get from Eagle is made by Intertape. The backing comes off very easier, it sticks very good and it comes off the wood really good and leave nothing behind.

http://eagleamerica.com/double-faced-tape/p/447%2D7150/

Ace Hardware cloth carpet tape. I've been using it for over a decade to template rout parts. Make sure to get the cloth type, not fiberglass. Cheap but very tenacious grip.

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

Another Borg carpet tape user. I've stuck shop made veneers down on carrier boards with it to run through the drum sander. It grips so well that getting the veneer off afterwards has to be done carefully or breaking it can happen. I've learned to cut some long narrow stips from it rather than trying to use the full width.
    Use the fence Luke

thanks fellas.. I've tried the borg carpet tape... it's ok,its hard to get off & leaves a film... I'll try the Eagle brand, as well a a few others mentioned. I appreciate the suggestions!
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay