Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working with Corian

Working with Corian

Hi folks, I just picked up some Corian scraps and wanted to make a few TS inserts. My question is, how does this stuff machine and will I need new saw blades and router bits when I am done. Thanks in advance, Bill

Bill, Ive used corian a time or to for the same thing that you are doing and I used the same tools ( saw blade and router bit ) that I use for wood and had no trouble at all ( no dulling or cloging )
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Piece of cake. I usually use an 80 tooth crosscut blade and get very smooth TS cuts. No problem routing either. It does generate quite a lot of very fine dust though, and there's a minor stink to it but nothing too bad.
    Use the fence Luke

Wear a mask, whatever it is that bonds the minerals together in solid surface countertops causes neurological disorders. No kidding.

Typically the only difference between router bits for wood, and those for solid surface work is the bearing.

Thanks guys

Thanks for the info. I'll use an 80 tooth blade and now I know to wait until the dust masks I've ordered arrive.

Thanks a lot, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Wear a mask, whatever it is that bonds the minerals together in solid surface countertops causes neurological disorders. No kidding.

Typically the only difference between router bits for wood, and those for solid surface work is the bearing.
    Can you document this? It seems rather unlikely.

Besides, my experience is that it forms "dust" that is too large to be a problem anyhow; though cleaning it up can be a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Can you document this? It seems rather unlikely.

Besides, my experience is that it forms "dust" that is too large to be a problem anyhow; though cleaning it up can be a chore.
    That's what I was told at a place I used to work at, never did look at the MSDS. When you sand it, its scary fine dust, best done wet. Probably won't have to do too much sanding when making a table saw insert I suppose.

You'd probably be fine, but I'm twitchy enough as is.

I've got some Corian scraps I bought off Ebay years ago for something else, then decided against that project. I've thought about using it for ZCIs, but looking at my TS (Ridgid 3612) the lip would have to be about 1/8" thick on the outside edge. Will Corian as a ZCI hold up to that? I'm afraid it will be too brittle and want to break off and cause me some major kickback problems, or at least ruin a blade. Anyone know how strong it would be? My thought was to make a plate that I could use replaceable wood sections for the actual ZCI part that would sit in a dovetail in the Corian, like the commercial aluminum plates. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Wade, I checked the MSDS online and it does have a warning about Corian gassing off a chemical that causes nuerological problems. The Corian has to reach 300 degrees Celsius (575 F) but the MSDS said that temp could be reached when sawing.

I would think that by using a very sharp blade and not pushing the speed combined with good ventilation there would be little risk. I don't recall seeing installers wearing respirators, but then again I don't remember that I ever wore hearing protection when I was an auto mechanic. Huh??

Bill

Jim, I'm not sure what Ridgid TS you have, but I got the Corian idea from a coworker who uses it for ZCI's in his Ridgid TS.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Petersen View Post
    Wade, I checked the MSDS online and it does have a warning about Corian gassing off a chemical that causes nuerological problems. The Corian has to reach 300 degrees Celsius (575 F) but the MSDS said that temp could be reached when sawing.
    HA! Thanks Bill, I'm far to lazy to defend my post, and don't care enough about someone else's gray matter to look it up for them.

Carbide tipped tools all the way. Use a high tooth count blade, moderate feed rate and carbide router bits. Good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Petersen View Post
    Wade, I checked the MSDS online and it does have a warning about Corian gassing off a chemical that causes nuerological problems....
    What problems
    tic ...twitch ...shudder..twitch...tic...
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I've got some Corian scraps I bought off Ebay years ago for something else, then decided against that project. I've thought about using it for ZCIs, but looking at my TS (Ridgid 3612) the lip would have to be about 1/8" thick on the outside edge. Will Corian as a ZCI hold up to that? I'm afraid it will be too brittle and want to break off and cause me some major kickback problems, or at least ruin a blade. Anyone know how strong it would be? My thought was to make a plate that I could use replaceable wood sections for the actual ZCI part that would sit in a dovetail in the Corian, like the commercial aluminum plates. Jim.
    I have a Corian router table. It is 3/4" routed to 3/8" to hold the insert. That is 3 times as thick as what you are talking about, but my insert gives way more than force than your ZCI will ever see.

But I understand your concern. I once had a ZCI kickback and it was rather scary. (for the life of me I can't remember WHY it happened; but I am pretty sure I was doing something stupid.)

When machined solid surface put out a fine dust.. quiet messy actually, but quiet safe. This is listed in MSDS as nusiance dust. Nothing toxic at all. Someone got fed some BS on the gasses.
    Never thought of SS for table saw insert. We have enough scraps to make about 2,000.. market out there for it????
    Mark.