Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Designing a shop - help

[quote=Tony Bilello;1034753]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keehn View Post

....It will have plenty of windows (especially on the south side) and maybe a skylight or two for as much natural lighting as possible.

My only suggestion would be to get some books out of the library on solar energy and might want to rethink the southern windows in Florida. You might end up with an air conditioning nightmare. Each latitude has a 'desirable' amount of roof overhang so as to allow the winter sun in and the summer sun out. Just a thought.

Anyway, I think you have the right attitude. Many people think about machinery and workbench space and never give much thought to actual work space and project space.
    2000 sq. foot is great for a small custom shop but with any luck at all you will out grow it quickly. And I hope you do.
    Did I forget to mention it would be on a 50 Acre wooded lot too?
    South facing windows not a problem when you have a lot of shade. But even in the shade, natural indirect light is better than shop lights.

Lot's of good tips by Ray and others. I would say you should make a leisure place that is comfy, so that when you are resting or have time while some glue is drying, etc you can enjoy other pursuits. I bought an electric guitar and have excessive stereo gear in my shop. The office looks like a recording studio. I recently managed to tap into someone else's WIFI (I feel guilty about this) , but have checked in here using it.<G>

Update

Some new info and current status. Looks like the plan will be to build the shop, move in and live there until the house sells in GA. (1-3 yrs?) and then we can build a house next to the shop.

Renting a trailer now, (25x50) with a garage (30x40) full of stuff, so the shop will need to be large just to hold all the "stuff". Looking at a 30x50 "Hoover". Hoping to buy the kit and build myself with help. If I can afford a high roof, maybe I can get two levels and cram everything in...Will have to get a temporary shed or something for projects - no room in the shop plus, if I am living in the shop, no sawdust, noise, etc. Maybe I should sell off everything except the bed, couch, and TV to save space...

The main thing is to get moved so the rent money can go toward the new house (and tools ).

So, I have a few decisions to make that will impact my living conditions initially, and the shop conditions in the long run. Money is tight, but willing to look at long term savings for up front expense.

Floor - concrete or other?
    Heat/Cooling - central or space ?
    Plumbing - need bathroom, kitchen for living, but only bathroom for shop, so how to design?

Should I try to wall off a living area for heating/cooling or just condition the whole shop ?

Man, I really need to sell that house. Anyone interested in a great deal on a house in Snellville, GA?

Rick,
    Concrete will be the least expensive floor, if you have more money install a wooden floor over it using 2 x 4's layed down flat with plywood over it and the Radiant floor heating can be run between them. the heating source is a hot water heater and a circulation pump and it's economical.

Use a propane heater that uses outside air for combustion so there is no chance of fire inside the building.

Make sure that the building is well insulated to save on heating/cooling bills down.

Since you probably won't be using the kitchen forever build it back to back with the bathroom. Having a shower, toilet and sink in the bathroom, the minimum needed for living and it can still be used at a later date. use a slop sink outside, it will work out well for the shop and double as a kitchen sink. Place the Hot water heater and the incoming water supply right near the bath and kitchen to save on plumbing. If you must have a range/stove then make it a gas or electric one that matches the heat supply, you probably won't need it once the house is done. Any kitchen cabinets here can be used as alternate storage after you move into the house.

Hope this helps,
    Jimmy

New Update - now building a shop

Sold my house in GA, so plans have changed a bit. Now building shop as a shop (40 x 70) - not a living space. Should start in a week or two.

I do plan to put in bathroom with toilet, shower, and sink. Was thinking the far left corner, but is there benefit to placing the bathroom somewhere other than a corner of the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    Sold my house in GA, so plans have changed a bit. Now building shop as a shop (40 x 70) - not a living space. Should start in a week or two.

I do plan to put in bathroom with toilet, shower, and sink. Was thinking the far left corner, but is there benefit to placing the bathroom somewhere other than a corner of the shop?
    Congrats on selling the house. I'm sure that's a weight off your shoulders.

From seeing lots of other shops here and on other forums, the washroom is usually placed beside the finishing room (if there is one). This seems to be because they either put a sink in the finishing room (so it needs to be close for plumbing) or because they don't put a sink in the finishing room (so they use the washroom sink.)

Otherwise I'd just worry about workflow in the shop (ie: keep it out of the way) as well as how the plumbing enters/exits the building.
    "It's Not About You."

My only suggestion is to visit a local bookstore, such as Barnes and Nobles.
    There are a lot of books on the subject of shops for woodworking, and I cannot suggest a best one. But Taunton Press, publishers of Fine Woodworking magazine has several. I wish some of these would have been available when I built my shop; lots of things would be done differently.
    I will suggest plenty of insulation-walls, ceilings, and even the concrete slab if you go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post

I prefer either in a corner or along one wall. Sometimes a corner may be better suited for another task (such as a dust collection room with exterior access for dust removal). If you place it along one wall, then that leaves the space between the bathroom and the corner for some type of protected work area, storage or finishing / isolation room.