Thread: Bowl Turn Instructions

Bowl Turn Instructions

Does anybody have any good experience with bowl turning classes in the mid-atlantic area? I have limited lathe experience, but woodworking for over 30 years.

Give Bill a shout, he is on SMC and a lot of people recommend his classes.
    http://www.wonderfulwood.com/
    Scott

Where exactly are you located, if we knew that we could narrow it down better for you. In lieu of that I 2nd Scotts advice for Bill Grumbine, If you cant attend one of his classes at least get hid video. It is an amazing bargain for the wealth of information it presents.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I'm a long way from being able to take one of his classes, being in Mississippi & all, but his video made a world of difference in my turning.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

I am located in Coles Point, VA, which is in the Northern Neck of Virginia. Since this is the sticks, 125 miles SE from DC and 90 miles from Richmond.

Will check out Bill. thanks

classes

check out the AAW web site look under schools or classes. There are a few in north carolina area. Also check for a local turning chapter in your area. You can look them up on the AAW site also! Good luck! George

Bowl Turning Class

James,

I live south of DC.

Woodcraft in Springfield VA has a Bowl class in March.

I'm thinking about taking it but I also plan on checking into AAW (Capital Woodturners) to see what else is out there in our area.

If possible look up John C. Campbell Folk School
    http://www.folkschool.org/index.php?...&subject_id=46
    A 3 or 5 day class would be much better.
    There are so much to learn, skill to build on, it is difficult to absorb all what have been taught in a half day bowl class. Sometimes a class has too much emphasis on bringing a finished bowl home, your bowl may have too much of the instructor's handy work. And a one time class lacks follow up.
    Also look for woodturning club in your area, they may have hands-on class and mentoring programs.
    Gordon

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great suggestions - thanks.

Kevin, may see you at the class in March, and Gordon, I did find info on the Cambell Folk school, but haven't contacted them yet.

Bill Grumbine has been very helpful and will most likely do something with him. Although I would like to get a little experience prior to a one-on-one lesson - hopefully knowing a little will make it better.

BUT, as will any lesson (golf/piano/etc), the old saying: "Practice makes perfect" is totally wrong. Practice makes permanent! Perfect practice makes perfect!