Thread: laser cutting shrinky dink plastic?

Question laser cutting shrinky dink plastic?

i wanted to try laser cutting those shrinky dink shrink plastic things that they sell at the craft store.

i know you can bake them , so they can withstand heat but i am not sure if they are safe to laser cut? any ideas?

Nadia

I am not familiar with shrinky dink plastic things. Is that a technical term?

Do you have a picture?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nadia,

Don't you think the edges would shrink with the heat and just make a humped up shape in the middle?

Mike - Shrinky Dink is a brand name for a thin plastic sheet you draw on with markers, cut out with scissors and then bake. The result is a mini version of your drawing, slightly thicker and denser color on a hardened plastic.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Mike, it is a plastic item that's cut into a shape and then you paint it all up (or color it somehow), while it's full size. Then you put them in the oven on a cookie sheet, heat them and they shrink a great deal, retaining their original shapes and all the coloring you did on them.

I don't recall how you color it. I tried them about 30 years ago Honest I'm sure they have changed since then, but not sure how. Haven't seen them since I was a kid.

Dang it, she beat me too it!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    If you don't have any on hand to play with (and don't want to make a special purchase), pick up a salad at your local fast food joint... the clear plastic cartons are made of the same material as Shrinky Dinks (non-extruded polystyrene). Look for the number '6' inside of the tri-arrow recycling symbol embossed into the plastic to make sure it's the correct type. Plenty of posts here about good settings for polystyrene.

For coloring, use permanent markers.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Well, I guess it's obvious that I don't get out much.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Well, I guess it's obvious that I don't get out much.
    I'm with you Mike, I did not know what it was but figured I'd sit back and let someone else ask.

Scott: 30 years back? Did we have plastics then?
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Scott: 30 years back? Did we have plastics then?
    Sure we did Dave, it's what the handle on your walker was made from

Oh, that was wrong. Sorry about that Dave, I know you're not THAT old
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.