Thread: First Segmented Pen & CA Glue Finish

First Segmented Pen & CA Glue Finish

Hey guys, so tonight I was convinced to try my hand at a CA glue finish. I personally like a more natural wood finish like Hut's Crystal Coat gives, but the boss wanted something shinier. What the boss wants, the boss gets

In the photo there are two pens, the first one I did tonight was the dark wood one (wood came from a mystery bag so I don't know what it is ) Since that was going to be my "experimental" pen, I decided to experiment with the shape as well!

The second Pen is the maple pen segmented with a piece of the same sort of dark wood. This is my first attempt at segmenting and I think it actually turned out okay. I finished it using the knowledge gained on the first pen (as in, don't rub paper towel on the CA glue too soon... it may become part of the pen!) Additionally, the maple pen is going to my wife's boss as a b-day present.

Anyway, Tonight I really enjoyed my turning time and can't wait to do some more!

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are great looking pens Chris. I like the shape of both of them. They look like they would not slip from your hand while writing.
    Good Job!

Marc Himes

The pens look great as does your photo work!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Chris nice job on the pens. As the more you turn pens you will develop a style all your own as far as shapes go. The mind is the limit there. If it looks good in your mind then there is no one to tell you it is wrong. Now as you also go and start selling pens though you will find the traditional straight line shapes better sellers. Also as the sales increase you will find people like the glossy look and for a better protection you will find CA as a much better finish. There again develop your own method of applying. Just a suggestion when applying with a towel place some on the towel and then drizzle some on the blank and rub back and forth. It will take a while before it gets warm and starts to dry. When I start to feel that drag ever so lightly I stop rubbing and ley dry and then apply my next coat. 4 or 5 coats of thin CA and I am good.
    John T.

John, thanks for the pointers I guess you always got to give what the clients want...

Dewey, thanks for the positive feedback on the photo work, I built a light box out of pvc and sewed together the white box a while back so I could document my wife's card making. It's nice to see I get to use it now too

Thanks all!!!