Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Suggestions

Photo Suggestions

OK....still practicing...........

I took Tim's advice and decided to try a different picture.....so I'm attaching one of a dog.

Lets assume that someone gave you this picture and asked you to make a pet memorial on a 12x12 absolute black granite tile from HD. What are the steps you would take to make it?

I assume you would import it into a new Corel document, then hit edit bitmap to process the photo in PhotoPaint or Photoshop.

First, would you adjust the tone/contrast or mask/cut out the picture? Does it matter what the order is? ie...by using the cut out lab or masking or cropping, do you lose image information that would be helpful when you are adjusting tone, brightness, etc.?

Next, would you crop this picture, use an oval mask (or some other shape), or use the cutout lab? Why?

Since the dog's ears in this example are black....how would you make sure that after it is engraved, there is some contrast between the edge of the ears and the rest of the black granite? In the cut out lab would you trace the exact outline of the dog or leave an inch or so of the background to provide that contrast? Would you use the whole dog's body or just use his head?

Assuming you used the cutout lab, would you put a white background so that when you invert it, the background will be black and engrave white on the granite? Do you invert it in PhotoPaint/Photoshop or wait until you bring it back into Corel and then invert it? Does it matter?

When you adjust a picture.....do you adjust anything other than the tone, brightness and contrast? Yes, I understand every picture is different, but I'm looking for what people do.....in general.

Do you use the histogram? If so, what are you looking for when you make adjustments to it? Do you use the tone curve? If so, is there a specific shape you go for (I think it was Margaret that said she goes to the middle of the curve and pulls down slightly). When you adjust the contrast/brightness/intensity are there specific values that you input?

Once your picture is done (in Photopaint or Photoshop) and you bring it back into Corel......do you create an oval (or some other shape) and powerclip the image in? Or so you just place the image where you want it?

Just trying to learn here folks......so any input you can give as to your typical steps in photo processing would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve,

My first question would be what is the customer looking for - beyond that and given the free artist freedom...

I'm not so sure I'd cut out the grass. For this particular one, I'd blur the grass around him to give a surreal look around him, but leaving him in focus. Then I would use the Creative Vignette to give an oval around his upper torso but fade the outsides to black so it will give a fade-in effect once it's converted.

I'll play with it in a few and post something that I would do with it....

___

Okay - that was a quick edit - would probably need more cleaning before doing anything with it... I use mainly the Brightness/Contrast to change my photos. I do it in their original format, then I change to greyscale and do it again. The only other tools I may use is spot fading/brightening or the Gamma settings. The only time I go to the Histogram is when I feel like confusing myself and making something look really awful.... I've only had luck with the Histogram once or twice...

My main goals were to center the focus of the picture and brighten the whites and darken the darks. I didn't want dark next to the ears and that was the reason for the fade versus erase around the dog specifically.

Sorry if this wasn't what you were asking. One other note - I use an oval mostly, but if I were going to put it on a 12X12 like you asked, I'd very likely use the square or rectangluar Vignette instead.

Steve
    Last edited by Stephen Beckham; 02-13-2009 at 1:16 PM. Reason: Added completed photo
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Steve,

I'm not sure if the way I would do this is correct or not...but I'll answer and if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me and we will both learn something new!

I think since the dog has such dark ears I would leave the grass in the photo... however, if I decided to remove the grass I would use the cut out lab in photopaint. In that case my first step would be to do that, then I would set the dog on a white background so that his ears would show in the engraving. Photos that I've chosen to do that way I've applied a vignette to and they turn out pretty good. Once I've cut him out I would then adjust the contrast and brightness. After that I would save the file and open it in photograv for processing. Then import that to Coreldraw. I think there might be an easier way to do all this, but I'm still learning...why does the learning curve have to be so danged steep??? We even paid for training when we got our machine and we did learn a lot but Sign Warehouse doesn't support Coreldraw or Photograv so we didn't get any help with those programs or how to edit photos to best engrave them. Hopefully soon we will have sufficient funds to invest in that training program I've seen the info posted on here about for Coreldraw!
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Ok, I'm trying to learn this too. I cropped the head, resampled to 300 dpi 11.875" square. Used the freehand mask in photopaint to draw around it and saved. In draw, adjusted brightness/contrast/intensity to 35/49/-35. Looked ok to me. Then adjusted tone/curve by clicking on the 5th grid from the bottom and dragging down about 1.5 grids to make the middle darks darker. Power clipped into a 12" square and converted to bitmap, applied circle vignette. I'm having trouble reducing the cdr file size and had to save bitmaps really compressed to attach.
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

Steve,
    I use Photoshop so I'm not sure if Photopaint has all the similar features, but I'll run through what I may try.

First I would open it in Photoshop this would save time and not cause another "generation" in your editing process.

Photoshop CS has quite a few more tools than the previous versions to make editing easier.

If your going to use Photograv make sure you have the image sized and the resolution you want.

Edit the image is the next step, if you want to do testing on the image without losing its information instead of adjusting in "real time" which is destructive to file information, you can create an adjustment layer. By doing this it allows for tweeking from the original file with out "destroying file info. You can make different layers for contrast, saturation, curves etc. After you are happy with the image save it as a "full" layered file. for reference.
    Next flatten the layers and save as a bitmap for Photograv.

There are so many things you can do with an editing program it would be hard to go over it all here.

A Google search for Photoshop or Photopaint tutorials will bring up literally hundreds of free sites that can run you through things.

Another item is called an action (photoshop) I have quite a few of these that I have downloaded, mostly for artistic things like makeing a watercolor ar sketch image. These are easy to download and use, basically you open an image then select the action you want to use and run it! The action systematically goes through all the changes that you want the image to do instead of doing it manually each time.

http://www.atncentral.com/

This is a good site to start with.

Histograms, can be a quick reference to see the distribution of the tonal range. You don't want heavy "spikes" on either end as that will lose details. Typically it should look like a nice mountain range.
    What I would suggest is that you find images you think really look good and ones that don't and see how the histograms compare, that can be a benchmark for you to use.

Hope this helps a bit,

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I think I over tweaked it....
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Smile photo using photo shop

Hi Steve,

Do a search on (how to prepare a photo) and find the thread where Augusta Persira ASked how to prepare aphoto and Frank Corker responded to answer his question in using using adobe photo shop. Thread date was 06-09-2008.

Mark Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Another item is called an action (photoshop) I have quite a few of these that I have downloaded, mostly for artistic things
    Hi Marty,

Do you or any others know of similar Action-type things for Corel? I am getting pretty envious of the PhotoShop offerings. For some things it seems leaps ahead of Corel.

I have tried the Gold Method with Corel but never with any great success.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

the quest continues

Okay, I tried playing with it and printed out on matboard (my new favorite) using several settings, plus the last one on the bottom right is the same image put through Photograv on the granite setting.

I think either the 15 or 20 power setting is the best. I don't have an extra piece of granite right now, maybe I'll find some at HD this weekend. But they were out last time I was there.....

I think Frank's suggestion to burn an unprocessed picture is a good one, though in this particular case.

cheers, dee

ps- Steve/Scott - you are too funny!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Beckham View Post
    I use mainly the Brightness/Contrast to change my photos. I do it in their original format, then I change to greyscale and do it again. The only other tools I may use is spot fading/brightening or the Gamma settings.
    Now THAT's interesting that ypu do it twice.

Thanks for sharing.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Dee, Did you remove the grass in the background, but just leave the rest of the picture alone?
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Turco View Post
    Ok, I'm trying to learn this too. I cropped the head, resampled to 300 dpi 11.875" square. Used the freehand mask in photopaint to draw around it and saved. In draw, adjusted brightness/contrast/intensity to 35/49/-35. Looked ok to me. Then adjusted tone/curve by clicking on the 5th grid from the bottom and dragging down about 1.5 grids to make the middle darks darker. Power clipped into a 12" square and converted to bitmap, applied circle vignette. I'm having trouble reducing the cdr file size and had to save bitmaps really compressed to attach.

Interesting that you cropped THEN resampled.

Do you always adjust you b/c/i to 36/49/-35 or did that just "look good" for this specific photo?

Interesting that you converted the power clipped item to a bitmap....hmmm.... THAT never occurred to me!

Steve,

So many questions, you must have been good in school. Sounds like you've got some good advice. Is there anything that's still unanswered?

Basically I approach every photo differently, depending on A. the photo & B. what it's being engraved onto.

I have done a couple dogs in the past year. One order was 300 dog tags of dogs. In that case I decided to remove all background. BTW black dogs engraved onto a black substrate is a pain. The 1st photo is a bit out of focus as it was shot as the laser was running.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    you want to do testing on the image without losing its information instead of adjusting in "real time" which is destructive to file information, you can create an adjustment layer. By doing this it allows for tweeking from the original file with out "destroying file info. You can make different layers for contrast, saturation, curves etc. After you are happy with the image save it as a "full" layered file. for reference.
    Next flatten the layers and save as a bitmap for Photograv.

Histograms, can be a quick reference to see the distribution of the tonal range. You don't want heavy "spikes" on either end as that will lose details. Typically it should look like a nice mountain range.

Interesting about the real time adjustments.....never knew that.....and always wondered why there was a preview button when I could see the adjustments as they happen.

Thank goodness SOMEONE knows what that histogram is supposed to look like!

Thanks Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I think I over tweaked it....
    ....and you wonder why I don't take Corel advice from you!