Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huge Disapointment with Red Wing Boots!

Angry Huge Disapointment with Red Wing Boots!

I purchased a pair of Red Wing Gentleman travler ( http://s.onlineshoes.com/images/br057/145524_366_45.jpg) boots a couple of weeks ago and they are probably the worst pair of boots I have ever purchased!

I ordered them online which was a huge mistake. These boots are SO uncomfortable I had to put sneakers on at work because my feet were in so much pain. I have been wearing them around the house to break them in and they just aren't getting any more comfortable (about 2 weeks).

Yesterday at work I installed a cheapo linoleum floor in a clients closet and the boots scuffed up the floor horribly. I had to replace two of the tiles because the black streaks would not come out. When I got home I noticed my kitchen floor had black streaks all over it as well. Is it really too much to ask for non marking soles on $200+ boots?!?

I do a lot of work at client's houses and now I feel likeI can't even wear these boots in their houses. What a waste of a lot of $$$

I am tempted to email Red Wing and see what they have to say about this. It just doesn't seem right. I would expect it from WalMart, but these are made in the USA Red Wings !

Has anyone else had similar experiances?
    Last edited by Vinny Miseo; 01-29-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Similar but different. We have/had a local Red Wing store (don't know where they moved to), and I was working two jobs. I purchased them for the one (asked about the second as well and ok'd for that), as they were technically required, however I was told by all the bosses, including the owners son, NOT to wear them due to heat, blistering issues (steel toe). So I wore them to my other job. They fell apart in 30 days.

Now I go to payless, and have to replace a cheap pair between every 6 months to 9 months.

I'm pleased with my current pair of Red Wings - purchased at the local store about four or five years ago. Not sure if the quality has dropped that much since then?

I have been buying Redwings since 1975 and have yet to be disappointed. I finally had to get rid of a pair that I bought in 1981. I have been through 3 soles and countless heels and it finally got to the point that there was not enough top left to attach a new sole. I am trying out a pair of Wolverine's right now. They are ok, but as soon as they wear out and I make my 90 days at my new job (that is when the boot buying benefit kicks in) I will be returning to Redwing.

When I worked offshore, that is all we wore. They could stand up to the drilling mud for months, it was usually that the leather just got tore up so bad that they had to be replaced. We had a lot of worms come out wearing $20 Wally world specials and after a couple of days we were running tape around them to keep the soles attached, the mud just ate them up.

The thing is you bought them over the internet. To me, buying boots that way is a HUGE mistake. You are about to spend 8+ hours a day in them and buying them sight unseen is just wrong. You need to try them on and make sure they fit your foot and arch.

Personally, I always buy them oversize, I like to wear 2 pair of socks and have never had a lick of problems.

Have you contacted Redwing or the vendor you bought them from?

Fake Asia knockoffs?

I like both pair of mine.
    Use the fence Luke

I have worn Red Wing shoes off and on since the early 60s and have found them to be a very durable shoe once they get broken in. It has taken quite some time to get the ones I have had to get them to the point where they are real comfortable. The pair I have now are floor markers so I am not allowed to wear them on the tile floors. I have had very good luck with Rockport shoes and boots.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz View Post
    Fake Asia knockoffs?
    Vinny -

Russ might be on to something there - especially since they were an internet purchase.

I have had nothing but good luck with the Red Wings I have owned. Comfortable and long lasting. Suggest you contact Red Wing and see what they have to say. Looks like Online Shoes has a 90 day return policy. Have you contacted them?

Regards,
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted Shrader; 01-29-2009 at 9:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    I had to give up on the Clark casual shoe styles I've been wearing for decades as the quality kept slipping and the price stayed high. I wrote them asking what was going on and didn't even get an automated reply *** sigh *** The Red Wings I wore 25 years ago when I worked heavy machinery were tough as iron and very comfortable. Like Kevin, I finally had to toss them when the "insides" wore out. I don't know if their quality has gone the way of Clarks or not; very sad.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I will swear by my Red Wings too. I've had a pair last me 12 years (re-soled twice) and they finally died of old age (and exposure to brine water). Some of the best $200 I've ever spent.
    I have a new pair identical to them now, and after @ 4 months they are finally getting "broken in". They do take awhile to wear into your feet, but they are worth it IMO.

Just retired a pair of redwings, RIP.

The new guys are a low ankle steel toe by Timberland that I got with a company discount and they pass so far.

The vendor has an unconditional return policy. Use it.

No Internet

The thing I like about most about an in store purchase is they measure your feet again and really take care of you.

The internet would not be a good place to buy a nice pair of boots.

The size that fit me before just did not fit quite right. She made a little adjustment from 11.5 E to 11.5EE. What a difference, no break in period!

YMMV
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

If at all possible..buy shoes in a store...try them on.....walk around...get the right size or find a style that is most shaped like your foot and is comfortable.

Different style shoes can require a different size or width and as Anthony stated your feet do change.

My ILs had a Red Wing Shoe store for 35+ years. I got my RedWings really cheap..even free at times.

I have a really difficult foot to size correctly as I was born flat footed and wear small tug boats.....12 EE..or 12 EEE or 12 WIDE....I have to wear composite toe safety shoes. No store carries them locally so I often have to order mine over the internet. I often send them back after wearing them for a couple of hours around the house if they are not comfortable.

Leather stretches over time. Don't take it for granted that the 12 E you bought 5 years ago will still fit your foot. Your foot changes...arches drop..feet grow and change shape. If at all possible go to a shoe store.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Glenn,
    I was a Clark shoe fan for quite a while. I have three pairs in my closet right now but I will not buy another pair. When they wear out it is not a gradual thing, they split at the sole and are unwearable. I was out of town and had only one pair of shoes with me when my Clarks split along the sole seam. The split was 4 inches long and caused the sole to start flopping. The shoes are unrepairable as far as I have been able to tell.
    David B