Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disposable Cordless Tools?

Disposable Cordless Tools?

After starting a woodworking business in 1970 I learned quickly to buy "industrial quality" tools.
    Now I'm a busy hobby woodworker. I have some "industrial" cordless tools that I bought for hobby use that need batteries now. An expensive Makita impact driver and a Porter Cable drill. I also have a Ryobi drill with more miles on it than the Makita.

The cheap Ryobi has done a great job and ,even if the batteries die today, has given better service life than the Makita and equal to the PC.

The problem is the cost of batteries and shipping for the Makita is close to a new Ryobi impact driver, with cheap batteries readily available.

I see photos in industrial woodworking magazines of big shops with a fair amount of Ryobi drills in use. I may just leave my Makita and PC on the shelf and go all Ryobi.

Are there any generic low cost tool battery suppliers? Is there such a thing as "universal " tool batteries?

Anyone else have this frustration with cordless tools.

Has anyone tried the Ryobi impact driver?

Andrew,
    I'm sure I don't have to tell you that you that for many cases, you get what you pay for. I myself have used the ryobi drill/river for quite a few years now and they hold up great.

I don't believe there are "universal" batteries as each manufacturer makes specific battery mounts to the tool. Some alternatives are buying after market batts from a generic supplier. Or get the batteries rebuilt.

Costwise, having the battries rebuilt or after market batts would be slightly less expensive but close to the price of a new battery but sometimes you get better parts in it than original. Also, if you want to go with the rebuilt, go with a reputable rebuilder.... some companies out there rebuild with CR*P stuff and you end up with a lousy battery.

So final decision is yours. YMMV

HTH

I don't have a Ryobi impact driver but I do have quite a few Ryobi tools and have been happy with them. I have found that they are not quite as comfortable and as well balanced as some of the more expensive tools.
    As far as the batteries go, get the old ones rebuilt. You will end up with batteries better than originally supplied with the product if you use the right re-builder. There is a re-builder that is frequently written about on SMC but I do not recall the name. Maybe someone else can come up with it for you.
    I had one of the original 12V Makitas, it was a real workhorse. I used it until I replaced it with the 14V model. I still have both of them but the batteries and chargers didn't make it to Michigan from California. My ex-wife supervised the movers.
    I bought the double battery pack for my Ryobi from Home Depot for $39, which I think is a good price.
    David B

I've had 4 ryobi battery tools, 3 makitas and 1 dewalt.
    IME, I got what I paid for.
    The ryobis performed OK for about 1 year and then deteriorated rapidly. My makitas are 4 years old and and work like new, the dewalt is 2 years old and also shows no aging.

Blog Entries
    I have the Ryobi cordless drill ( think it's 18v) , I'm a hobbiest & am very happy with Ryobi. The easy availability at Home Depot is also an advantage
    Dennis

At one time, I was heavy into Remote Control hobbies. There are websites, directed at the R/C hobby, that sell loose cells of Ni/Cad, NiMh & LiOn.

Most battery packs, are a series of rechargable C cells. I had an old 12v. Craftsman drill that died. A new (special order) battery pack was as much as a new drill. I purchased the NiCad C cells for around $10, soldiered them together reassembled the battery pack.

If you attempt that route, realize that NiCads, NiMh & LiOn cells all are charged differently. An automatic charger usually turns off based on a measured discharge rate. You should not attempt to "upgrade" your battery pack by changing battery types. Most likely, your charger will not properly charge the different cells.

That being said, one of the only HF tools I own is a 18v cordless drill. I just recently put a new $12 battery on it after a couple years. I have tried to burn the thing up and haven't. I just wish the darn thing would give me an excuse to drop some hard earned money on a "good" drill!!!

The Ryobi 18V impact driver has more driving power than most others, but the driving time from the batteries is a little less than others. This one is a real winner.

I have several Ryobi tools and IMHO you get a lot of bang for the buck with them.
    David

I've got some of the Ryobi tools (including the impact driver) and I've been happy with them. The batteries from my experience have held up for a few years of hobbyist use, and luckily the nicad replacements are cheap.

Andrew, thewe was a thread here a weak or so about batteries and it gave a bettery rebuilder website. Ilooked at and think I will send a few of my batteries to get rebuilt.....I dont remember their name right now but when I get home I will post it
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post

The cheap Ryobi has done a great job and ,even if the batteries die today, has given better service life than the Makita and equal to the PC.

Are there any generic low cost tool battery suppliers? Is there such a thing as "universal " tool batteries?
    If that Ryobi is a One+ 18 volt, I'd be tempted to buy their dual mode charger and lithium-ion batteries. Be almost like having a new tool.

As for universal tool batteries, although the actual physical containers are unique to the tool (or line of tools), inside that are usually mini-c cells. You can buy replacement ni-cads and rebuild the pack. You can even buy higher output (more mAH = longer run time) NiMH cells. If you aren't feeling handy in the electrical sense, Batteries Plus stores will rebuild most packs (if you can easily dis-assemble the packs, screws not breaking them open). You can also buy the cells there, although you will get a better price mail order or off the bay. I haven't verified this, but I've been told that although the NiMH will provide more power, the NiCads will last through more cycles. I suspect your mileage may vary. I'm planning on reduilding several B&D 18 volt packs with NiMH for use with the lawn equiplent (trimmer, blower, and hedge clipper).

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Leonard View Post
    If you attempt that route, realize that NiCads, NiMh & LiOn cells all are charged differently. An automatic charger usually turns off based on a measured discharge rate. You should not attempt to "upgrade" your battery pack by changing battery types. Most likely, your charger will not properly charge the different cells.
    I guess the key phrase there is automatic charger. I haven't cracked open any others, but my B&D 24 volt charger quit working. When I popped it open to repair it, I found that it's pretty much a minimal regulated power supply with a current limiting resistor. I combined a double electrical wall box, an outlet, a 12 hour timer (spring powered like you would use on a bathroom exhaust fan) and a power squid to make a charging hub for all my 24 and 18 volt B&D chargers. Not as handy as an automatic charger, but at least I don't leave the batteries "cooking" all the time.

I've had a half dozen Ryobi batteries die on me in the last few years. I've had 1 Dewalt battery have a single cell die, but the others have impressed me with their longevity, especially how I use them (electrician - I turn big self feed auger bits into nail filled wood all day, hard work for the battery). I've bought generic dewalt replacements off eBay and been pleased with the results, I can't telll a difference (except for the high-capacity ones I bought, they last longer than stock).

I'm using Makita Li-ion cordless now and love them, hopefully they'll last a good long while.

Rebuild

I used MTO Battery, formerly known as Battery Rebuilders, with very good results. They have a great website with excellant info-very educational. I sent 2 PC batteries to them for rebuild for about the cost (if I could even find any) of OEM replacement. They work better than new. I got the recommendation from SMC ! I would not hesitate to use them again.

www.mtobattery.com
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!