Thread: Im on my way to a new shop!

Thumbs up Im on my way to a new shop!

Im going to start on my new shop! I thank all of you that helped me with the "whats the size of your shop" post! I have decided to go with a 20 x 24 shop Its not the biggest shop but thats within my budget and the space that I have to build it.
    I will have a wood floor and somewhat like a utility building. I can't decide on the roof ? 8' walls and a rafter roof using 2x6 or 10' walls and trusses Im going to take vacation next week to start and hopefully get most of it done. And if I go with trusses I will have to order them, 1-2 weeks to get them in? I know it will be lower next to the walls going with the 8' but in the center it should be higher than the trusses with a 5/12 or 6/12 pitch.
    In the next day or two got to prep the site with a little ground leveling, Hope the 4 wheeler with the push plow can help with some of the load!
    Then fri go to the $$BANK$$ and also get the permit.
    I will post some pics of progress.
    Jim

Thumbs up You Go For It Boy!!!!!!!

Jim, go for it! A 20' x 24' is a nice size shop. When I decided to build my new shop, it was a real interesting process. The LOML came to me insisting I should build it and she'd work an extra 3 years to pay for it and we'd retire simultaneously. Thus I had to get it built this year, preferably before summers end so I could do part of it myself. While I could have built it, my job often leaves me little time for things other than work. Keep one thing in mind, higher ceilings are disireable! Be prepared to make changes and yet, with a little serious tedious planning you can get what you want at a budgeted price. My shop came in only $320 over the initial bid from my contractor. This included my upgrading the roofing material and wall sheathing material, a windowed walk thru door, and several other unseen things like additional fill material following the removal of the tree stump. Go for it! Have fun! Take lots of pictures and post them regularly! Be prepared to have your jaws ache from smiling during the process! Good Luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jim, I hope that you enjoy building your shop as much as I am enjoying building mine. I also hope that you do not have as many interuptions as I am having.

Congratulations, Jim! A new shop is certainly something to celebrate. Of course, don't forget one of the most important SMC mantras..."We Love Pictures"!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Jim good Luck on your new Shop, we just bought some property that we are going to move on some time in July and there is a 24 by 40 3 stall Garage, which 2 of the 3 doors were taken out, and I am taken over little more then half of the Garage for my wood Shop, so a 20 by 40 would be a nice shop for you.
    Last edited by Tough Nailz; 07-01-2004 at 9:35 AM.
    Wood are tough, Nailz are tougher.

A clean Shop is a safe Shop

Whoo-hoo! All right, Jim!! I bet you won't be able to get that darn smile off of your face for quite a while. In fact, I hope it stays throughout the process meaning everything goes smoothly for you.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Smile

lol, that's right Chris every time he spends money for everything he needs just to have a great work shop, I know I am spending alot right now trying to make my shop something I can be proud of, but all in all it'll all be worth every pennie in the end, I am starting to insulate my walls now and putting up playwood walls, I've been thinking highly of putting down a wooden floor, but that will be in time stil trying to figure what way is the best way to go.
    Wood are tough, Nailz are tougher.

A clean Shop is a safe Shop

Hey Tough,

Nice handle but as you've probably noticed around here, we prefer to use our real names and it is in the 'terms of service'. We feel it keeps things real and real friendly. Please send a PM to Jackie Outten or Aaron Koehl and they can change your name for you.

Thanks and welcome to SMC...it sounds like you have a lot to add to this great forum of great people! We like pictures a lot, too!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jim -

Here is a link to mine which is just a shade smaller.

http://www.shoptours.org/

I think that posting this link is ok, if not, I'm sure Ken will pull it. 8^)

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    Jim -

Here is a link to mine which is just a shade smaller.

http://www.shoptours.org/

I think that posting this link is ok, if not, I'm sure Ken will pull it. 8^)

George
    Thanks George for the link !
    Nice shop!
    Hey I think I have the same DC as yours.
    Jim

Alright Jim, be sure to fire up the digital! Congrats on the new shop plans...can't wait to see it!

Thumbs up 20x24

That's the size of my shop. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with the 24x32 but then that's money I didn't have. Also I definitely would opt for the 10' ceiling height. Mines 8' and with the lighting you have to really think it through on material handling. But overall I am just glad I finally went ahead and did it after all of these years just dreaming about it Let me know if you would like to see some pics of it to give you some ideas.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood
    That's the size of my shop. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with the 24x32 but then that's money I didn't have. Also I definitely would opt for the 10' ceiling height. Mines 8' and with the lighting you have to really think it through on material handling. But overall I am just glad I finally went ahead and did it after all of these years just dreaming about it Let me know if you would like to see some pics of it to give you some ideas.
    Please do Jack I would love to see how yours is set up!
    Jim