Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T8's vs T12's

T8's vs T12's

If a fluorescent fixture has T-12 tubes in it, can they be replaced with T-8's or visa versa? Will the ballast handle either? Are the pins the same?

Or what do you need to do to change?

Thanks,
    Jim

If the ballast is rated for T12 lamps you must use T12 lamps, the use of T8 lamps w/o a ballast swap out will result in extremely short lamp life & possible ballast damage, BTW the ballasts common on older T12 gear are due to be phased out soon (think it's in 2010) in favor of electronic ballasts.

tubes

.....and the tubes (and pins) are different sizes.

Thanks Rollie and Russ(I like the sound of that. One more "R" name and it would sound like a gaggle of attorneys).

I figured it was too easy.

The reason I asked was I just purchased a bunch on 4-tube used lights for the shop and some on the tubes will need to be replaced for sure. I thought I would "upgrade" if possible.

Oh well.........

Jim

Jim,
    I made the mistake three years ago buying $500 worth of T12s for my pole barn. They work okay but they buzz like a hive of bees. I knew about the T8s but the price was too good to pass up on the T12s. Me and my going on the cheap haunts me on occasion.
    David B

I added 32 T8's to my shop but I made the mistake of leaving the old T12's connected which were on another circuit. The T12's buzz non stop and give off half the light. I will probably replace them this spring.

Well, if they don't workout they were only ten bucks each so it would be a cheap lesson. They are four tube with swing down light defusing panel so I'm sure I can get my ten bucks back. They are in really good looking condition and most have all four tubes in them.

I currently have six two tube lights(T-12) in the shop now and for whatever reason, they don't hum/buzz or bother the tv.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Boyd View Post
    .....and the tubes (and pins) are different sizes.

Pin spacing is the same on F40T12 & FO32T8 lamps (med bipin). They retrofit quite well.

It's really easy to swap out ballasts (wiring diagrams are right on front). Just make sure the new T8 ballasts you get will support four lamps.

OK Rollie, now I'm confused.

"They retrofit quite well"????

What did I miss? Do you mean after you change the ballast?

How can you tell if the ballast you have will support T-8's?

Jim

I recently put 6 8ft t12HO lights in my garage I think they are great they put out lots of light. They are only on when I am working in the garage which is not that often, only when I am working on cars. I wanted a light that would always turn on despite the temp and produces a lot of light. These are the newer ones with electronic ballasts they do not hum.
    Thank You
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    OK Rollie, now I'm confused.

"They retrofit quite well"????

What did I miss? Do you mean after you change the ballast?

How can you tell if the ballast you have will support T-8's?

Jim
    Maybe I should have given a bit more info, a retrofit means replacing the lamps, ballast(s) and sometimes even adding reflectors to be able to remove 1 or more lamps to further reduce power consumption. The ballast of of the existing fixture should have the data on the label but if it fell off then it's a educated guess of what it's designed to use.

Rollie,

Here is what is says on the ballasts(2 each):

Advance Transformer Co.

Cat. No RQM-2S40-3-TP

For 2-F40 48" 40W 430ma Rapid Start
    or 2-F40 48" 34W or 35W 460ma Rapid Start Lamps

Class "P" Type 1

If these don't work, what would you replace them with? Please be specific.

Jim

The ballast is for F40T12 lamps or the currently avail. reduced wattage lamps since a large number of lamps were pulled from the market due to energy regs. if you need to replace them, then I would retrofit them for T8's then the price for T8 lamps has dropped & electronic ballasts are not all that bad now the price difference is close enough to make it a no brainer.

Note: I do not have specific catalog #'s on hand to post but if needed could find them.

Where would one start looking for ballast for the T-8's? .........at a reasonable price of course. Are they all the same?? Can you get one ballast to run four tubes?(currently there are two)

Thanks,
    Jim