Thread: The full-size table: The top is ready for finish

The full-size table: The top is ready for finish

From my blog:

Progress!

The table top is back, cut to final length, and sanded (sorry, no chance to take photos of my friend's amazing shop).

I beveled the edges, using a table edge bit for the topside, and a small, 1/8-inch roundover for the bottom side. Routing the top bevel free-hand requires much care and concentration, as this bit is large:

The bevel profile:

I am very pleased with the overall appearance of this table top. The bevel will provide a much better feel on the arms than a normal table edge:

Hopefully you will get a sense of the size of this router bit. The router base plate is one of two that came with my DeWalt 618, and has the largest opening - the bit's cutting diameter is 2-1/2 inches:

To use such a large-diameter bit one must reduce the router speed to around 10,000-12,000 RPM. In addition, I suggest shallow cuts. I took four passes to route the entire profile.

Now the table is ready for the first coast of Zinsser's Seal Coat. I will apply using a lint-free rag. This results in application of a very thin film of shellac on the oak.

Now, some neat stuff about finishing oak with waterborne coatings - and the reason you pay to access my blog (just kidding...!):

1. White oak, and especially red oak, have high tannin content. White oak may or may not be marginal. This high tannin content makes them acidic.
    2. The typical waterborne coatings are very high pH, typically pH 10 or higher.
    3. Applying the typical waterborne coating directly on the surface of the oak can cause nasty reactions. For example, it is possible to get bridging and pinholing.
    4. Therefore, a work-around is needed.
    5. Enter: Zinsser's Seal Coat dewaxed shellac. I apply two very thin coats using a lint-free cloth. I allow it to fry for two hours, sand between coats to 320 grit, and then apply my waterborne coating.
    6. For this table I will use Target Coatings' new Emtech 2000wvx alkyd.
    7. My client liked the finish on the half-scale tables. As a result, I will use the same finish, and apply 4 coats minimum , using a Fuji Q3 Pro HVLP system.
    8. The EM200wvx imparts a very nice straw color to the white oak. And it looks great on walnut (the legs of this table).

Related posts:

The full-size table is ready for sanding

The full-size table: Gluing up the top

The full-size table: The beginning

My entry in the Lumberjocks Winter 2009 Woodworking Awards

Thanks for reading, and following along this build!

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Al,
    Wish I could drive up and see the table firsthand. But my FIL is in the hospital with undiagnosed cause cancer, plus corporate downsizing closed my store plus two more, so working 16 hr days to relocate inventory. Plus who knows where the downsizing will end up on the home level. Oh well back to the original point. The table looks A-1 as all your projects do. I am looking forward for future pics as well as everyone else. Please keep us posted on the progress.
    Mark
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Table Top

Al, The table top looks great. I like the profile alot. As a fairly new woodworker I also really appreciate you going into details especially on the finishing process(one of my real weak points). Again nice job, looking forward to more. Thanks. Happy Woodworking, Craig

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    ...my FIL is in the hospital with undiagnosed cause cancer, ...
    Mark,

I am sorry to hear about him - my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. Other things can wait - there is nothing as important, as family.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig T. Smith View Post
    ...I like the profile a lot...details especially on the finishing process(one of my real weak points)...
    Thanks, Craig.

I use waterborne coatings almost exclusively. And white oak, but red oak as the worst offender, are a little tricky. That is the main reason I wanted to highlight it. There are many other, much more complex finish schedules for white oak, too. Mine is very simple, as it offers a nice color that my client really liked.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Nice top. Should last for at least a hundred years.
    One tip for routing an edge: Get your hands on one of Pat Warners router bases. Using a router to profile an edge leaves less than half of the base on the table top. The Warner bases extend over the table top, with a handle for more stability, resulting in less wear and tear on the nerves(yours).

Nice work Al --looks terrific!!

You coming down to KC for the breakfast/wwing show???