Thread: Delta/Rockwell model 10 contractor saw

Delta/Rockwell model 10 contractor saw

For sale for 150.00 locally. Is this a good saw and deal?
    Set to work with 220volt, but can be run at 120.
    1.5 hp motor.

Howard, are you selling or buying?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think 150 is a great price for any contractor type saw. Check for obvious problems, broken trunions ect.

I am buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Miller View Post
    I am buying.
    Then I second Michael's comments. I'd also take a good look at the arbor bearings and the tilting, raising & lowering mechanisms.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have two of them. One in the shop, and the other travels to job sites. As for arbor bearings, they are 6203-2 RS. I paid a little under $2 each for the last ten I ordered. This model of saw was last manufactured in 1984. Most likely it will come with the "Jet Lock" fence, which was the standard until Bill Biesemeyer brought out his fence.

Buyer Beware, but if all looks, sounds, smells Ok, You better hurry and BUY! $150 is a STEAL for a Model 10 in good condition. I sold mine last year for $250 and was just a bit hacked that it didnt bring MORE!

Even if the saw needs new arbor or motor bearings, they are a small ticket item. I refurbished an old Model 10 in the '90s and used it until just last year. It is a solid saw and the 1.5hp motor is plenty for 4/4 oak when run on 220v. Add a better fence than the JetLock and you will have a good contractors saw!!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Just a word about the JetLock fence. If you opt to keep it there is a simple screw adjustment to make the rear clamp grab the rear rail AFTER the front locks down. Problems with the JetLock fence not aligning correctly are generally due to this adjusment being out. If the rear clamp grabs before the front the fence will not necessarily clamp parallel to the blade and may vary each time. However, if the above adjustment is correct and the fence is adequately tuned otherwise there is nothing inherently wrong with it. It will be perfectly usable until you want to upgrade.

Some amazing things have been built using that saw by many, many people. They can be tuned to perfection. I have one with a Unifence that I use on the job sites and it is a trusty and accurate saw. At $150 I would buy it for a spare myself. First order of business, change out both pulleys to Brownings and install a link belt, will run as smooth as a big saw.

May first TS was a Rockwell 10 inch and I did some of my best work with it. It will do almost anything you want with it. For $150 it can be a steel, check condition and if in good shape, buy.

Kelvin

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin Penner View Post
    May first TS was a Rockwell 10 inch and I did some of my best work with it. It will do almost anything you want with it. For $150 it can be a steel, check condition and if in good shape, buy.

Kelvin
    Or better yet...A STEAL.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

The current owner bought the saw several years ago from a friend of his, but has only used the saw a couple of times.

I am going to look at the saw today, but here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images