Thread: Bowl shaped object

Bowl shaped object

I figured I should probably post my accomplishment. Granted it isn't anything special and started as a another test piece but the half log had been lying around a long time and seemed dry so I finished it off.

It sure is a lot harder than it looks but a lot of fun at the same time. I guess this is actually bowl (shaped object) 5 since I took some green lumber and roughed a few out for practice with the gouge.

This is some kind of cherry something or other that grows around here. The power company took a few down and I didn't know they were out there so they are pretty rotten now. That is where the spalting and discoloring comes from.

I hope to have many more after this one. Any suggestions, comments or tips are more than welcome. My daughter and I are kinda learning as we go with this whole lathe thing.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Joe - congrats on your first completed bowl! Make sure you sign it and keep it as you will be real amazed at how much you improve over time!

Very nice bowl! Nice size, color and finish! I love cherry and find the variations in color just make it that much more appealing. About the only thing I can suggest to continue working on is the form. Nothing wrong with what you have - but a lot of folks work on having a smaller foot area so that the bowl looks like it is sitting above the table instead of 1/2" into it. Just something to consider...

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing completed bowl #2!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking first bowl. As Steve says sign, date and keep it for reference down the road. You will be amazed at the difference as you gain experience.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thats a very good bowl for a beginner. Most people have trouble with the inside but the inside of yours looks great. I agree that the outside shape is not perfect, but its a keeper.

very nice bowl for a first or 21'st. That continous curve from foot to rim can be hard to get right and you are almost there on your first! Looking forward to more posts as you progress seeing as how this one was done so well...Bill...

Joe:
    That looks great! I like that spalted, discolored look.

All the best.

Don

I like the bowl shaped object LOL. I think you did a great job
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Bowl indeed!! Looks very nice!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Joe,

Heck I like it, and by the way it is special.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Regarding the smaller foot suggested by Steve. Is that a smaller area and still flat or a separate foot to raise the bowl off the table.

I think the idea would be to make the bottom smaller in diameter and make the curve more abrupt to the top. In effect increasing the angle from top to bottom.

Like I said, this started as a learning curve project to get the feel for the bowl gouge. It is easy to tell when it is being held right.

Also, even though I can free hand grind well (I used to hand grind custom knives) I think I may look at a jig for doing the bowl gouges. That changing grind angle is a toughy to do by hand.

Yes I did sign and date it. I have a long day at work tommorrow but Wed I hope to go out and see if I can salvage any more of that wood. The stuff checks like nothing I have seen before.

Thanks all

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Regarding the smaller foot suggested by Steve. Is that a smaller area and still flat or a separate foot to raise the bowl off the table.

I think the idea would be to make the bottom smaller in diameter and make the curve more abrupt to the top. In effect increasing the angle from top to bottom.
    Joe, a lot of folks prefer to not use a foot at all and instead do what you already stated - just make the base a smaller diameter and start the curve from that point. Other folks like using a small foot to actually raise the bowl off the table. It is totally your choice and would be good experience for you to actually turn both styles and see which you prefer.

Sharpening a bowl gouge with swept back wings would have to be extremely challenging if you are doing it by hand. I have the Wolverine system with the vari-grind attachment so I can get the cutting edge I want and be able to consistently maintain it.

Keep up the good work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good start Joe, and if you like to know, it is Elm wood
    Have fun and take care

Joe, It looks like a bowl to me ? Nice shape and the colors that cherry gets when it starts to spalt are nice! Keep turning and it will all become second nature to you.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown