Thread: Saw Dust !!

Saw Dust !!

I own a small machine shop and a customer gave me job of turing 2 10" diameter white ceader logs 10' long down to 6". Holly smoke what a pile of saw dust I am creating.

Randy

What are you turning this on?

I have an engine lathe that will take steel bars up to 10' long. So I have the length I need, I just have saw dust flying everywhere. Times here are pretty bad so I have to take every job that comes in the door.

Randy

Sweet. You should take some pics and post em.

Large turnings are always cool!!

I turn wood and Glass Fiber Composites on my Engine Lathe. Nothing like engaging the power feed and watching the wood come off during the roughing. The wood dust and chips is a mess, the Composite dust is a health hazard.

I clip a 4" dust collector hose to the tool post and probably catch 95% of the stuff. If you don't have a collector a cheap Harbor Freight DC would work. A shop vac might help but I don't think that the air volume is great enough to take away the chips as fast as they are produced. I use a 2HP collector and cyclone.

Randy, I bet that is pretty cool to watch as the chips fly. Ive done a little metal turning and it was pretty boring unless you have a ribbon of metal flying off
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Randy - sounds interesting! Would be great to see some photos if you get the chance!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!