Thread: Stanley 45 or 55

Stanley 45 or 55

I can't decide between the two. What are the major differences between them. From what I can tell the 55 has more cutters that enable it to do more moldings (which is my primary interest in the plane). Anybody have in thoughts or recommendations here?

Thanks,

George

45 is somewhat simpler

I finally bought a 55 last year, but have yet to put it to use. However, looking at it and at the manual tells me that it's a good deal more complex than the 45.

I've made limited use of a 45, enough to know it's a very useful tool.

Forced to choose one, I'd choose the 45.

Hi George,

I found this was a good read when I was deliberating between the 45 or 55.

http://www.antiquetools.com/perm-col...nley41-45.html

Although I ended up buying a record 044 as a set and forget for drawer bottom grooves, and a Record 050 for beading, T/G, dados, rabbets etc.

Blog Entries
    I have one 55 and five 45s. Had six, but gave one from the family line to my brother to keep with other pieces from the wood working items from our family's ancestors. Four of mine are currently set up to cut different sizes and the fifth is just waiting in the wings. I find them very useful for cutting slots and rabbets. They are a bit difficult to get the hang of, but once one learns to take their time, they are pretty easy and can do some nice work.

The 55 can do everything the 45 can. The 55 also has an adjustment ability on the outboard skate to accommodate cutters that are non-symmetrical. This allows the 55 to cut more complex shapes.

The 45 can be bought for $50-$150 depending on what all comes with the deal and the date of manufacture.

The 55 will likely start out at double that. Before about 1930, the 45 and 55 used different spurs or knickers. After the 1930's, they used the same type, that look like a clover leaf. Getting replacements for the later models is not real hard. The earlier ones are a bit rarer on the market.

For a good user 45, my choice would be one built around 1915 or later. These will have all the refinements. Just make sure some of the parts that make them better are not missing. Most common useful part to be missing is the locking screw for the fence adjustment. The one by the rods is preferable to the one that is above the adjustment screw.

Here is a link to more information on planes such as the 45:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/combinationplanes.html

Hope this is more helpful than confusing.

jim

George,

I have both. I like both. I find the 45 to be more user friendly due to its relative simplicity when compared with the 55. However, if your primary intent is to create moldings I would recommend buying wooden molding planes instead. A nice assortment can be had for the cost of a complete 55 and they'll perform much better. If you pay as you go, so to speak, by just acquiring the profiles you need at the time, the startup cost will be significantly less. The one drawback to this approach is that it may take a little hunting to find the profiles you are looking for in a timely fashion. If all you were looking to due was some light beading or cutting grooves the 45 can be made to perform well. Good luck.

Differences

I agree with Willie. The 45 is simpler to setup and use, but the 55 can do a lot more. You might consider buying the instructions for both from Lee Valley and see whats involved. You might also see the Cornish website mentioned earlier as they might have the instructions on the website.

One problem with used ones I have seen is bent main bodies (where someone dropped it.) Another issue might be flaking finish. Suggest either buying from a good dealer or someone who is honest. Ask questions.

There is still one new "45" being made by Clifton. Expensive, but it is new.

Also rumor has it that Lee Valley may be bringing one out soon. They currently have one they call "small" which infers they might be making a "large".

(I have 2 55's, 1 45, and 1 50)

Eric

I have the LV small plow plane and I love and I'm anxiously waiting for the "Large" version (Robin Lee I hope your reading this) I just hope it comes out soon, there is certainly demand for an updated version of either the 45 or 55 as long is can do molding profiles and eliminate the need for wooden molding planes or antiques.

I have all mentioned on this thread (Stanley 45, 55, and a ton of wooden molding planes). If your objective is to custom-grind a cutter for a custom molding profile, then the Stanely 45 or 55 is for you. If you're looking to cut standard profiles or combinations of profiles (astragal and cove, ogee, reverse ogee, cove, scotia, etc...), then you're better off with wooden molders.

The reason has to do with the designs of the planes. The Stanely models have no bed and no throat, so if don't have stock that has a consistent grain direction all the way down the board, and you can put the molding on the side that allows the cutter to go with the grain, huge ugly tear-out is the result. A wooden molding plane with a tight mouth will give you a far better surface finish, and be a heck of a lot more user-friendly, though all planes work better with the grain.