Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsawing bowl blanks

Arron I made a sled similar to a table saw cross cut sled to ensure that the blank I am cutting does not shift and bind the blade. I have had no problems since.

I also use the 3/8, 3 tpi heavy-set woodslicer "turners blade" from HH. It really helps.

And, like you, I also blew a capacitor after cutting up a green black walnut log on a MM 16 (for crying out loud), when using the turners blade. You are not alone. Coincidence? Maybe we both allowed our bands to get a little too dull or maybe we pushed too hard or whatever.

And, as Reed pointed out, my blanks surfaces are seldom dead flat off the chainsaw.

I like to BS my blanks before rough turning, since chucking up out of balance green blanks is hard on my small machine.

Keep those responses coming.

Thanks to everyone for the responses and advice.

The blade was doing a superb job of cutting the green wood. When my new capacitor comes I'll have some wedges ready to go to tap into the saw kerf so hopefully this won't happen again! Lesson learned for sure.

My lathe is a 1220vs Jet, so I like to get blanks as round as possible before I start turning. Sure is handy to have a working bandsaw!