Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Home brewers around here?

Glenn does that sig line translate like I recall?

Doc, that has to be some kind of cruel punishment that Navy is imposing.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Glenn does that sig line translate like I recall?
    Doc, that has to be some kind of cruel punishment that Navy is imposing.
    Joe
    Dunno...Is this what you reacall?
    "Work's done. Where's the beer?"

And as far as Doc goes...he love's what he does...whatever it is. Now he get's to hang out with people who ride around in fast boats while shooting big guns. (Keeping my son safer is also a plus)
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I've been brewing for about 8 years but haven't done a batch in a while. Never had a batch I didn't like. A few mis-steps along the way. Bottling too early and blowing up bottles and, when you opened one up, Old Faithful in the kitchen. I have been relegated to brewing on the front stoop using my old Coleman stove after a batch overflowed during the boil over our stove. A nasty mess. I once misfigured the amount of sugar to add to a batch I made and the alcohol content was WAY high. I didn't tell my son about it and gave him some to drink. A few days later he called up to inquire what was in the beer as he kinda got hit after one beer. Another mis-step was when I was trying to hold my syphoning tube to the side of the brewing bucket with a-not very sanitary-wood clamp. Naturally, it fell into the batch. Not wanting to waste 5 gallons of good beer, I bottled it anyway and just ignored the occasional pieces of sawdust that I found. I need to make a batch again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    Dan, I've been homebrewing for about 10 years or so and absolutely love it. I don't bottle, I keg - A LOT easier. I have a chest deep freezer that I converted and holds nine five-gallon corny kegs. I have a five tap tower coming off it. I usually try to keep a stout, a wheat, a fruit, a "lite" lager, and a "normal" lager beer on tap.

My lite is called Lawnmower Lager and only has 1.2% ABV and is extremely flavorful.

Of course I haven't brewed in almost a year in preparation for the move and my current deployment. Speaking of which...

Glenn...you suck!!! You know how long it's been since I had a beer!!! We're not allowed to have any while actively engaged in Iraq and it's not allowed at all in Kuwait (dry country). And no, we didn't get our two beers for the Super Bowl either like the Army did (though we did get to watch it at 2 am).

Be well,

Doc
    Let me know when you get home, I will send you a case! Would it be possible to get your lawnmower recipe? I'd love to give that a try.

Thanks for protecting us!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

One of my favorite things....

Bought this for a song off of Ebay. The old bowling alley on the base closed and they sold it. Needless to say, the homebrew lasts a longggg time in this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe, it's no different than when I was on submarines and we'd go three or four months underway without any. Of course, I'm not saying that I didn't miss it, but you just accept it as a necessary restriction and move on. Besides, beer is the least of things that I have to do without when deployed. And, yes, as Glenn said - I really do enjoy my job very much.

Glenn, we send our guys down to Qatar for some R&R, but there's only so many seats available and I'm not going to take one from my Sailors.

Dan, I replied to your PM. Send me your e-mail and I'll send you back the recipe when I get stateside at the end of March. I appreciate the offer, but no need (though tempting). I wouldn't want to impose on you. Besides, I serve my country because I'm a patriot through and through and believe in what our Constitution says. I've never asked, nor expected anything in return, other than peace of mind that my family is safe and free (of course, better pay would be nice ). Thank you for the offer though.

Darrin, that's a sweet setup. Are those Perlick faucets on it? I'll have to post some pics of my setup (though it'll have to wait until I get back to the other laptop stateside). I don't have them on my "travel" laptop.

Be well,

Doc

Faucets

YEp...those are Perlick forward seal faucets. They are great, especially for infrequent use/long term tapping.