Thread: Cabinet construction

Cabinet construction

Hello,

I am wanting to start to build a bathroom vanity and cabinets. The question I have is :
    1: is there a set or standard style of construction of the carcass and face frame?

2: Is there a good book that can give me a solid reference.... pics say a thousand words!!!

thank you

patrick
    Patrick

Patrick,

Most of the cabinets that I see built in my area are built out of 3/4" cabinet grade birch plywood or 3/4" cabinet grade oak plywood.
    The oak cabinets would have solid oak face frame. If the birch cabinets are painted, they could have maple or poplar face frames.
    Hope this helps......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

The only "standard" I know of is the 32 mm system common on euro style cabinets and they don't have a face frame. There are standards that manufacturers adhere to about construction quality and the like but I believe they are voluntary and any decent custom building will exceed them easily.

Everything from but joints and staples to sliding dovetails are used. I have changed my cabinet construction over the last few jobs to speed up the process and still keep a solid built quality cabinet.

You will find a big difference from maker to maker and I would suggest you find a method that works for you and just do it. I don't have any cabinet books but several are mentioned periodically so I am sure someone will have an answer for that soon.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    I've built several bathroom vanities and other cabinets.

This cabinet and vanity was modified from a photo in a catalog.

This vanity is only 15" deep to fit the limited space in a small bathroom.

This vanity is a custom made copy of a vanity sold by HD.

I designed my own for the most part to fit the existing space. I made dimensioned drawings on autcad. I use the same basic construction techniques I did for a dresser or kitchen cabinet. Your best bet is go to teh home centers and cabinet shops and look at how they made vanities and cabinets and incorporate their design elements into your cabinet.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-02-2009 at 1:54 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Pick up a copy of "Building Kitchen Cabinets" by Udo Schmidt. Great reference if you're just starting out.

Last season Norm Abram did a series of New Yankee Workshop episodes centered around a kitchen project. The cover story of FineWoodWorking issue #196 gives a detail blowout of his cabinet construction technique (prefinished maple ply for the carcase, poplar face frames, pocket screws and biscuits). You can access the article on the FWW site:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=30010
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 02-03-2009 at 2:00 PM.

thanks

thanks guys for all your help.....
    Patrick