Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Routers, routers, routers

Routers, routers, routers

I have one router in my shop, mounted in a table for making raised panel doors. I would like to have at least one or two additional routers, so I can leave that one in the table all the time.

Ideally, I'd like to pay $100 or less for my additional routers. I have 2 1/4hp in the table, for out of table use, I doubt I'd need anything that big. I've been looking at laminate trimmers and small handhelds like the Bosch Colt, but for a similar price it seems I can get a regular full sized router with a fixed base.

I like the Bosch I have now, and I've been looking at Porter Cables as well. I can pick up a PC 690 for $90 new, is that a good deal? What brands and prices should I be looking for? The Bosch's like the one I have are still selling for over $200 locally, so I'm thinking $90 sounds pretty good for a PC.

laurie, it depends on what you want to use the routers for. if you want to be able to crank out those lovely raised panel doors, you should consider getting at least a 3hp router to field the raised panels and another 2hp router to complement the one you have already to run the stick and cope cuts without having to constantly switch bits or heights in the case of stacked cutters. otherwise, the pc 690 will work great. i bought at least 3 of those within the last two years and once you figure out how to unlock the router bit from the collet (whack the the collet with a wrench!) the PC 690 works very well for running edge profiles and as you've observed they're a bargain compared to their beefier cousins!

I really can't afford a 3hp router, and don't feel like I need one anyway, as I've been cranking out the raised panel doors with my 2 1/4 just fine. I just work slowly and make many, many passes each panel. But yes, I would like to have a setup with a pair of routers set up to make the stick and cope cuts without swapping bits around like I do now, and have one router for edge use outside a table, so, ideally, I'd like to have at least 5 or 6 routers. But I'll buy them one or two at a time as money permits.

I've been slowly adding tools to my shop over the last year or so, and I now have a dado blade set for my saw and a tenon jig. I still do not have a biscuit joiner, a decent drill press, or a miter saw, but until I find one I can afford they'll have to wait.

I thought the PC690 had a self releasing collet? You should just have to loosen the collet with the wrench, then loosen by hand until it stop, and then loosen again with the wrench (about 1/4 turn).

I bought an extra base ($40) for my RT Milwaukee so I could quickly make it handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    I bought an extra base ($40) for my RT Milwaukee so I could quickly make it handheld.
    I have both bases for my Bosch and use a lift on the table, but it's still a pain to take it out of the table and put on a base then mount it back in the table. I'd rather have another router to use for out of table things.

The PC690 for $90 is a nice deal on a nice router that's a good size for hand use. The Hitachi M12VC fixed base is a nice little router too....bought my recon for $59.

The M12V/M12V2 and the Freud FT2200 3hp routers are often on sale in the $125 range, but I doubt you'll find many decent 3hp routers for < $100.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-04-2009 at 11:17 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

anthony, the problem with the pc 690 is that even after you've released the collet bolt, it sometimes still seizes on the bit. a great solution is to just whack it with the enclosed wrench to loosen it up.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    The PC690 for $90 is a nice deal on a nice router that's a good size for hand use. The Hitachi M12VC fixed base is a nice little router too....bought my recon for $59.

The M12V2 3hp and the Freud FT2200 are often on sale in the $125 range, but I doubt you'll find many decent 3hp routers for < $100.
    I wouldn't expect to find a 3hp router for that price, which is why I'm not looking for one. $125 sounds good for one, though. Where do you see these sales?

The freud router set was $99 at Lowes and HD for a while.

Here is the lowes for $99 with free shipping
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...CEK&lpage=none
    Last edited by Marlin Williams; 02-04-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: link http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=273209-333-FT1702VCEK&lpage=none

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Brown View Post

I still do not have a biscuit joiner, a decent drill press, or a miter saw, but until I find one I can afford they'll have to wait.
    Laurie, after thirty years I don't have a mitresaw or a biscuit joiner either.

I cut material on the tablesaw, and for those rare situations I want to use biscuits, I use my shaper with a Freud 4mm slotting cutter.

I think you can cut biscuit slots on a router table with a 4mm cutter also, although since I own a router plane I can't do that either!

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Williams View Post
    The freud router set was $99 at Lowes and HD for a while.

Here is the lowes for $99 with free shipping
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...CEK&lpage=none

I don't know much about Freud. How does that router compare to a PC? I notice it's more hp than the PC 690, so I'm wondering how do the brands compare quality-wise?

Hello,
    I have both the Freud 1700 and the PC 690.
    My advice would be to go with the PC 690.

Not that the Freud isn't a good router, it just that PC set the standard for bushings.

The Freud requires an adapter to use PC bushings.
    The 690 is also a bt smaller and lighter, which makes for a tiny bit easier to use handheld.

The Freud, with it's extra power and above table features, is a very good table router.
    The optional plunge base is ok. Not great but ok. Not being able to just slap in a bushing w/out first using an adapter is another drawback.

$90.00 is a very decent price for the 690. I paid $99.00 for mine with a free PC sander a year ago Christmas.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Laurie,
    This is an area where Harbor Freight can come to your rescue. A router is just a motor with a bit chucked into it. Having a couple of cheap routers with common bits in them is very handy sometimes.

Laurie,

I bought a Bosch jigsaw that included a Colt router as part of a package. The Colt is now my often used router (not including the one mounted in the router table). It is light and invaluable for router edges, inlays, and other fine or small work. I have several other fixed and plunge ones available but still use the Colt more than the others combined.