Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Granite projects and questions

1. totally impressed

Thank you so much for posting these.. I had lost my inspiration awhile back and have not touched my equipment. You made me want to get busy..

Great Work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McGinn View Post
    Using the oil base paint works very good. Apply small amount and normally leave it overnight. Buffs off without lots of effort. Attached 12x12 HD tile with titanium white applied.

Nice work, Bob - may I ask what your settings were for this piece? Did you make the various shades with simple greyscale fills? Did you keep it between 20-50%?

thanks, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks Dee. The tile design was completed in Illustrator using grayscale settings from 0% to 95%. Settings were 26 Power / 100 Speed 600 DPI - Stucki (Epilog 45W 2" lens - manual focus using 0.003 shim stock to achieve light drag). So far, the best results (for me) working with granite, marble etc have been achieved by tossing all of the recommended setting guides out the window and dropping the power way down and kick speed up. Some of the grayscale work is taken all the way down to 10 Power / 100 Speed - to get lighter shade items to show color seperation. Although that photo does have the titanium white oil base applied, the results as removed from the machine were also impressive. All the oil base does is make it all 'pop'. The granite was right from the shelf at Home Depot.

Black Granite Engraving

Hi everybody

I'm new in this forum so i will first introduce myself. My name is Miguel, i'm 25 and i'm from Portugal. I have my business in memorial art and i use very often laser engraving.
    You can see some of my works at www.jopedra.com
    Hope to do friends among here and share work experiences.

See you

Beautiful work, Miguel. Welcome to the Creek!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Miguel

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I had the great pleasure of visiting beautiful Lisbon several years ago. (naturally, I brought home some Sandeman's.)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Miguel

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I had the great pleasure of visiting beautiful Lisbon several years ago. (naturally, I brought home some Sandeman's.)
    Thank You all for this good welcoming.
    I hoped you liked Lisbon, it's a beaurifull city, but i'm from the north of Portugal, one of the most beautifull regions of the world visit if you can...Guimarães 2012 -European Capital of Culture.I discovered this forum by luck searching in google when i was looking for laser engraving pictures.
    Does someone have religious pictures with good quality ready for laser engraving in black granite? maybe we can change a few.

See you soon

PS. IN PORTUGUESE WE SAY "ATÉ JÁ"
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use the same method as Bill.
    Seal - Engrave - Paint - Seal.

I used two marble tile 12x12 inch.
    Next time I will use one tile 24x12 inch.
    I don't like the gap between tiles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Versa LASER 3.50

Black Granite Engraving

Does anyone here have religious pictures ready for engraving in black granite? maybe we can exchange some...
    Waiting for anwsers.

Best Regards from Portugal
    Last edited by Miguel Pinho; 06-27-2009 at 1:00 PM.

Hello Mr. Onur

The granite floor that you made, can you tell me if it was a vector image for corel draw?

Best Regards from Portugal
    Corel Draw x3, PS CS3, PhotoGrav 2.1,CamTech L5...

Do you work with black granite engraving Dee?
    Last edited by Miguel Pinho; 06-27-2009 at 4:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Pinho View Post
    Do you work with black granite engraving Dee?
    I have done a few, would not consider myself an expert. There are many more people on the Creek who are better at it than I am. I do not use PhotoGrav, I do all of my prep work in PhotoShop.

You should do a search for granite engraving and you will get lots of info. This topic has been discussed a lot! Plus, look for the "Gold Method", this is a macro you can put into PS and make it automatic.

cheers, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Anfimov View Post
    I use the same method as Bill.
    Seal - Engrave - Paint - Seal.

I used two marble tile 12x12 inch.
    Next time I will use one tile 24x12 inch.
    I don't like the gap between tiles.
    Absolutely beautiful!! How did you apply the paint? Wipe it on with a cloth, squegee it across?? How long did you wait before wiping the excess off?
    George

thanks

i used white grafitti spray, and quickly passed toillete paper to spread the painting.

I use oil paint and solvent. I apply paint with soft white cloth and wait for 15 min. Then I wipe out paint so only very thin layer of paint lay on marble. After that I dry marble for 24 h. I repeat this procedure for 2-3 times.
    Versa LASER 3.50