Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15" Delta Planer "MOTOR ON TOP": Is it worth the extra bucks?

I upgraded from the Delta 13" 220v machine (same design as what you are looking at) with the motor on top to the Griz 0453X. I prefer to lower center of gravity, the higher beds most of the time, and the rollers for returning and resting plained lumber. I wouldn't pay a higher price for the Delta. For the price difference, you can add carbide blades which are well worth it.

Maybe I'm nit picking,but from a machine engineering standpoint,it is better if the motor is isolated from the cut. This matters a lot on metal lathes, and especially on jig boring machines where quality of finish cut,and very high accuracy is needed. My Bridgewood 15" planer is the one with motor in the base. It planes so smooth,you have to really look to see the cut marks. Mine is TAIWAN made. Bought in the 80's. The newer ones are just about Chinese made. May not be of the same quality.

I have the DC-380, its second hand, about 14 years old? Has fold down extension tables, does a good job, blade changes are not a problem, the motor pivots easily out of the way by loosening one bolt. Not sure I would pay more for the motor on top design though, I think it is meaningless. Some of the best planers I have used are fixed head, moving table designs. Most industrial planers have a fixed head, its a proven design.

Planers move slow enough that I can switch sides and feed/catch my own work without any additional infeed or outfeed support, and given that most 15" planers have maybe a 6" travel its not much of a bend from highest to lowest in any event, for me another mute point. Given that you will use the planer mostly over the range of 0"-3", you could build a table to catch boards as they drop from the planer table, or a rolling cart to help get large pieces into the planer if you handle many of those for whichever planer you choose.

I bought the delta for $320 used and have had no problems with it so for me the decision was easy. If I were buying new I'd rather have a spiral head than a top mounted motor any day, or at least have an extra $400 in my pocket.

The Grizzly unit I have seems to be a decent machine. It will hog off material without a burp and was set up very well from the factory.

I can't see any real world benefit to a top motor design that would have me leaning toward buying one. If it was a real US built unit for an extra $400 for me it would be a no brainer but that isn't the case.

I would likely use the $400 for some other tool or put it towards a spiral head.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I have a North State 15" with the motor on top. I bought it from a dealer and it is a Delta Knock off. It was sitting beside a delta top motor and the 2 were identical except brand of motor. Same casting marks and everything. Mine was about $700 Cheaper.
    I wanted the top motor for the same reason. I set up mu work table the same height as my tables saw, planer and shaper in case I needed to use it for an in-feed or out-feed table.
    Looking back I don't think I would have paid more for the motor on top.
    clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

I'm the proud owner of an *original* Rockwell/Invicta RC33 of '80s vintage. The motor is on Top. Any utility of having a fixed bed, and a travelling motor is really over rated. Although I have had great results with the old RC33, a bed of fixed height has never meant anything to me.

I have never found fixed extension tables to be of any real use, because to depend on such would mean snipe on the final 3 inches of stock! I man-handle ALL my stock. After stock is fed in, and about half way through, I move to the outfeed side. For a final finish cut, as the board end approaches the cutter head I push down on the board with right hand, and lift up with my left, bowing the board slightly to hold it hard against the table as it leaves the cutter head. This effectively prevents ANY snipe on the board end!! Lots of armstrong work, but good results. An outfeed table would only get in the way.

My top-mount motor has little paint left on it from sliding the board back across for another pass. Those top rollers would come in really handy for this instead. All in All, I would rather have rollers topside, than the motor!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

it sounds like people are saying a fixed head / moveable table design doesn't do well on long stock - can someone please elaborate?

I bought a Grizzly 15" movable table from a guy who claimed he couldn't plane long stock with it. I've set it up and run 8' boards through with little to no snipe

what's the problem?
    Last edited by Tyler Davis; 02-06-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Tyler, I don't see the previous owner's point. You would have to ask him! The only issue with a moveable table, is matching the height of an extension table to the planer's moveable table. Any other problem he had was probably due to his method of using the machine. Perhaps he just let a long board dangle out of the planer as it exited. I am sure with no support, the snipe was unacceptable.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    I'm the proud owner of an *original* Rockwell/Invicta RC33 of '80s vintage. The motor is on Top. Any utility of having a fixed bed, and a travelling motor is really over rated. Although I have had great results with the old RC33, a bed of fixed height has never meant anything to me.

I have never found fixed extension tables to be of any real use, because to depend on such would mean snipe on the final 3 inches of stock! I man-handle ALL my stock. After stock is fed in, and about half way through, I move to the outfeed side. For a final finish cut, as the board end approaches the cutter head I push down on the board with right hand, and lift up with my left, bowing the board slightly to hold it hard against the table as it leaves the cutter head. This effectively prevents ANY snipe on the board end!! Lots of armstrong work, but good results. An outfeed table would only get in the way.

My top-mount motor has little paint left on it from sliding the board back across for another pass. Those top rollers would come in really handy for this instead. All in All, I would rather have rollers topside, than the motor!!

Hi Chip, I think the motor over/under is a red herring as I've owned two planers with the motor under.

The General has snipe, the Hammer doesn't so the snipe issue seems to be more of a roller/pressure bar/cutterhead spacing and design relationship than whether you have the motor on top or extension tables fitted.

I wish I had the General still in the shop so I could see what's different between the two machines, (No it's not the price, they're both the same).

Regards, Rod.

Another brand to consider

might be Sunhill. They have a 15" with a 3hp motor on top sale priced at $695. Don't know much about the machine but it is a great price.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Overthere View Post
    Can you elaborate, Fred?

I figured I could mount a top-motor planer on a "tall" shop-built roller stand, and make my own removeable in-out tables - which wouldn't have to be raised up and up and up as I take progressive passes...

I'd be interested to know what's NOT working for you, or what about the arrangement is not proving to be helpful to you - BECAUSE I'D REALLY LIKE TO SAVE THAT EXTRA $400

This is how I raised my planer up and now it's the same height as my table saw,my small RAS,and my drum sander whitch can all be used for infeed/outfeed tables.

JEFF