Thread: Major rescue needed

Major rescue needed

I am in the process of making a shaker stool. After I got done turning the legs I cut off the 1/2" at the base that I used for the drive end and parted off the last 1/2" on the other end. On the top of the legs I have a oval like domed shape. So I go to lay out the holes for the rungs and figure find out that 2 of the legs are not the right length. Somehow they got laid out when I cut the legs. Now I need to figure out how to remount the legs to turn the dome end. The bottm of the legs are tapers from 4" to the bottom. If I use my stronghold chuck on one end and the 60 degree tail stock I can get the leg centered and put the steady rest on the tail end to turn it how can I make it so I don't have any damage from the chuck jaws. I have 1, 2, 3 tower, and the jumb jaws. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Quinn

Quinn, Can you make a jam chuck out of some scrap that the taper of the leg will fit in? Mount that in the chuck so it won't scratch the legs. Then if you have a center finder mark the center of the other end and remount the legs. You could put a piece of paper towl around the leg before you put it in the jam chuck to add more protection. It will work just have to take your time and get it all centered.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown