Thread: Winchester tools?

Winchester tools?

This has to be an aberration, but I've seen Winchester tools go for a whole lot on the bay, but this - 140297951246?

Over $1500 for a boxed set of 13 single twist auger bits? Are Winchester tools really that rare? Wow.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I have only followed the Winchester planes and they generally go for a decent amount. They have the bedrock frog but beyond that, they're standard planes. I don't know why a bunch of Winchester auger bits would sell for that much.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I passed on a Winchester #4 equivalent at a local antique store. Filthy, but intact and cleanable... might have to go back and snag it now....

The Winchester tools were basically a rebranding of the Simmons Hardware tools from 1922 to about 1930. So they are somewhat rare, and the brand name apparently makes the tools more popular with collectors. There's a page with some of this history at http://www.thckk.org/history.htm.

I have (by pure luck) a Winchester saw with a Warranted Superior medallion. The saw is an excellent user, but that's mostly because the blade was kept in excellent shape. Otherwise, it's really not any different than a Disston (though I wish I had a few D-8s in that condition).