Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs

Please reply to this thread with suggestions about articles/posts you would like to be linked here. Keep in mind the post/thread has to be from within SMC.

1. Work benches

2. Neander project showcase (other than tools)

3. Sharpening
      • Scary Sharp
      • Water Stones
      • Oil stones
      • Grinding (powered or neander)
      • Technique
      • Misc
        A discussion on sharpening. See post #15 for a comparison of grits

4. Tool usage and maintenance/tuning

5. Ways of the neanderthals (techniques and tips)

6. Handtool jigs

7. Tool Talk (reviews, general info on tools, type studies, on-line books, makers etc.)

8. Making your own tools

9. Rehabbing Old Tools

10. Tools Storage

11. Misc tools
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 03-08-2012 at 1:50 PM. Reason: plane/saw tills
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Jameel Abraham's thread on Oud making

Zahid,
    I'd like to enclude the thread http://The great-grandaddy of the guitar--Oud making . This is an older thead I stumbled onto while viewing another thread. I'm new to Sawmill Creek so I haven't seen some of the older threads. I was so impressed with Jameel's work I thought this qualified as a classic thread and one that could be viewed again and again. I think this could be under the catagory of Technique and call it something like Oud/Lute making.

This Idea of classifing threads and puting them up for easy viewing is a great idea. Thanks.

Berl Mendenhall

ops

After clicking on the link I provided above I see I did something wrong. The great-grandaddy of the guitar--Oud making. Try this if it doesn't work someone will have to explain how it's done. Sorry for the inconvience.

Berl
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 02-21-2009 at 2:24 PM.

Berl, I added your recommended thread under the "Technique: Task" title in the top post. I also fixed your URL. Basically what you do is go to the thread you want to link/reference, copy the URL from the address line at the top of your browser. Now when you are writing your reply click the small globe icon (with a small chain link across it), it will pop-up a small window asking for URL, just paste the URL you clicked earlier in this field and click OK. It will put the URL where ever your cursor was when you clicked the globe icon.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Thanks

Zahid,

Thank you. I'll copy and paste your explanation, maybe next time I'll get it right. Any way we got the thread posted.

Berl

Zahid, I wonder if you could add some of the saw-making (and saw-handle making) links?

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

This an awesome assembly of information.

Nice job.

Could you please post my inlaid Italian 17th.C. guitar in FAQ? Plus,my wife's jewelry box and table? There are about 3 postings on the jewelry box,as I hadn't found out how to post more than 1 picture yet. I'm still learning basics of the computer. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Grit Comparison Chart

This is a link to a chart comparing the different grits on different stones and sandpaper.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...1062936&page=2

You will have to scroll down a little.

jim

Thumbs up

Got to agree, this is a great idea and it's now bookmarked!!

OK, I have now added the grit comparison post, the handcut dovetails thread as well as a thread to make a simple scratch stock. These were all the outstanding requests I had stacked up. I think it would be best if we posted requests to this thread (as opposed to PM or emailing me), which is fine too but it might delay things. This way other moderators can also assist with putting things up on the original post. Don't forget to mention where you think the recommended post/thread fits.

Shooting Boards

I would like to add the following thread for shooting boards.

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/shootingboards.html

In addition they have info on combination planes, etc.

Thanks. Eric

Eric, I have that site bookmarked as well, but the intention is to create an FAQs list for stuff that's on SMC. If we include external sites the task become more daunting and will require more up keep because we don't control the content.

Zahid,

There has been some terrific stuff recently on specialty planes. This is just one example:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121101

I wonder if we are ready to create a link on specialty planes? Should I start a thread called "Specialty Planes" (of which I have almost none) and ask people to collect some of the helpful info they have posted?

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Zahid, how can I add to a thread, like the "shop made tools" thread?
    Thank you!
    David