Thread: Remote for Telemecanique Mag Starter for my DC

Remote for Telemecanique Mag Starter for my DC

I installed an Oneida 2HP Commercial unit in my shop about 5 years ago. The switch was an extra cost option. I ended up with a Telemecanique Magnetic switch which has been excellent.

Now I want to upgrade this switch to have a remote control - thus never having to walk across the shop to start it. So far good plan. I called Oneida after looking at their website and not finding exactly what I wanted. I told the sales person that I had the Telemecanique mag starter switch and wanted the remote control.

After asking the tech folks she said to order the remote unit for $35.00 and another unit. Today the package arrived and contained the same switch as used on the Dust Gorilla 2hp (Magnetic Starter - AMR221114 / 230v / 1 phase)

My question is "Can you add a remote to the Telemecanique?" or was this complete new switch necessary?

It seems a shame to pay $249.00 (current price nearly $300) and have to toss that and replace with a less expensive switch that was $153.00.

Oneida makes a great product -- no doubt about it. However, I am a little confused here.
    Last edited by Fred Floyd; 02-06-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: More appropriate heading
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

I have a remote with my DC that cost around 70$ that you can get from Griz, Amazon and others. It would have to be installed downwind from the magnetic switch. I don't really see the need of a mag switch on a DC unless you would be absent from your shop for a long time like days and you could always manually turn it off. The remote I have is called the Long Ranger.

Fred --
    I think you're asking if it should be possible to just add a remote control to any existing magnetic switch. The answer is no. Remote control of a switch requires a receiver of some sort. (Generally it is a radio receiver.) The usual magnetic switch does not have a receiver. So to put a remote on your DC, Onieda had to replace your switch with one that does have a receiver, and give you a compatible remote too.

Thank You. I did receive a diagram that shows the Telemecanique with a "black box remote" added. I'm beginning to think that pricing pressure may have caused Oneida to look at the much less expensive switch from NHD that has an optional remote receiver.

According to the drawings from Oneida, it is the same receiver in either unit. There is some sort of adapter plug that is needed. I looked on the Telemecanique website, but could not find anything like what was shown in the drawing.

This is probably a question for Oneida. Any Oneida people frequent this forum?
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Lightbulb

Well, Fred, I don't know how to pronounce that, much less what the heck it is. Sounds like some French thingamajig.

Anyhow, when I was getting interested in home automation (like here you walk into a room and the lights come on automatically ), I came across X-10. Interesting stuff for a Borg like me who plays with electricity.
    So I set up my shops auxiliaries with X-10 modules to run stuff like my shop vac, and air compressors, air filter, and dust collector motors.
    My modules are plug in types, so they simply plug into the receptacle, and the cord plugs into them. I have my two DC blowers on these. I can have them on different settings, so I'd have to push two buttons. But I have them on the same code so they both start together.
    I control my various modules with any one of 4 of these controllers I have around my shop. Yep, 4. So North, South, East, or West, I came start over there, and shut off the item over there.
    You need a transceiver module too. Just one will do everything you want.

I bought what they called their whole home automation package, about 12 years ago. But what I have linked is the basics that will give automation to a shop.
    Here is what mine looks like:

And I only use half of the buttons.
    It is not without a few quirks though. I have to occasionally unplug the receiver module to reset it. Now it is plugged into a power strip so I just turn it off and back on to reset it. Then everything works again.
    I don't know why it stalls now and then, probably static.
    But you can groom the system to do a lot of things for a shop.
    I also use the 15 amp appliance modules for 120 volt stuff.
    When I first started using these, I came home one day and found my shop vac system running. Odd, I thought.
    Then, since I spent so much of my free time in the shop, I had stuff start up by itself. Now that PMO!
    Then I realized somebody else had some X-10 stuff and was using the A code as well. So I changed my stuff to a different letter code and everything worked fine every since.

Anyway, for anybody interested in remotes for their shop, X-10 is a nice set up for a lot of items with one controller for all of them.

Just curious why more people dont consider a 24v transformer and 24v coils in thier magnetic starters. Then a simple class 2 low voltage 3wire stop start station can be ran just about anywhere in the shop.

thinkin out loud
    Matt

I don't think most folks could manage the circuitry (although simple to you or I).
    Myself, I like wireless devices. Although they do have their downfalls as well. "Where the heck did I put that remote???"
    So mine are tethered, or velcro'd to locations. Probably 8' apart at the max, not a far walk.

OK, go back to thinking out loud.

Fred, your Telemechanique mag starter CAN surely be turned into a remote unit IF it is a magnetic starter! (manual starters cannot be controlled remotely) Determine what the coil voltage is. (I didn't see you mention it in this thread) All that need be done is to use 120v or 240v output from the X10 or Long Ranger remote switches to power your mag coil on and off. In effect, the remote switch us used instead of any switch or push buttons you use now to power the DC on/off.

The existing switch need not be changed in any way. All you need to know is that the correct voltage is being sent from remote unit to the mag coil. The X10 stuff is very economical and worth a try. It won't cost much to play with a solution. Otherwise, the Long Ranger is a more substantial (and expensive) unit. either Way, This Will Work!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    Well, Fred, I don't know how to pronounce that, much less what the heck it is. Sounds like some French thingamajig.

That's pronounced "Tele-mek-an-eek" for you Kelpafornians. (And yes it's French).

Regards, Rod.

Smile

I received a note from Oneida. The sales person indicated that after looking at my original order, that I would need

"send you the AMR220000 set (i.e.: receiver and transmitter) and the AMA000000 3 wire adapter."

"We need to send you a return label to get the AMR221114 starter back. Then when the starter gets back here, we will have to credit your account for $153.40 - the cost of the AMR221114."

This seems like the right solution. Again, Oneida gets it right.

Thanks for your help...

Fred
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"