Thread: How do you mini folks turn so small

How do you mini folks turn so small

I have seen plenty of folks this month and last month post awesome micro turnings and my question is how? What tools? What methods?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Dewey...they often make their own tools using allen wrenches ground for the task or I've heard some use dental tools.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dewey...they often make their own tools using allen wrenches ground for the task or I've heard some use dental tools.
    How do they figure out how to grind the tools? Is there any reference on the subject that you know of?
    Dewey

All you need is an over-sized dime.

OK, seriously... these were turned with a 1/4" skew.

DSC_0130.jpg
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Hi Dewey, I made a picture a few years ago after the question was raised so often, and trying to explain is difficult.
    So take a look I have finished and parts to use for tools, just remember the amount of wood that needs to be cut is minimal, but your tools have to be sharp, so almost anything from a common nail to a piece of HSS can be used, just keep it sharp.
    Long concrete nails and long screwdriver bits as well as allan wrenches are good steel to be used, though don't blue it when sharpening as you loose the hardness of the carbon steel.
    One other thing, you start with little pieces of wood , ...,
    make it dense hard wood they work best
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Hi Dewey, I made a picture a few years ago after the question was raised so often, and trying to explain is difficult.
    So take a look I have finished and parts to use for tools, just remember the amount of wood that needs to be cut is minimal, but your tools have to be sharp, so almost anything from a common nail to a piece of HSS can be used, just keep it sharp.
    Long concrete nails and long screwdriver bits as well as allan wrenches are good steel to be used, though don't blue it when sharpening as you loose the hardness of the carbon steel.
    One other thing, you start with little pieces of wood , ...,
    make it dense hard wood they work best

Ok,
    Leo I plan to give some of this a try. (warning) I may have more questions later and thankyou!
    Dewey

Dewey, I am addicted to the miniature turning realm and have made all my own tools except a small set of miniature tools I bought on e-bay for $15 for the set. Most of the outside of the mini's I use regular sized tools but on the inside I make the ones out of anything I can sharpen and will fit in the opening. Here is a post with pictures of the tools.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...1032631&page=2

It should give you an idea of what I use. If you have any other questions. Send me a PM and I can guide through it.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Whoa Leo, that looks like a Civil War era dentist kit!! Cool little tools!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Jim whatever it takes ;-)), also you can always blame the tool with these and just make another one
    Have fun and take care

Now those are ridiculous... where did you get that enormous dime?

Just sold 5 on ebay for a total of $83!! Not to bad for things about 1" tall.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown