Thread: Walker Turner Lathe, $600, good deal?

Walker Turner Lathe, $600, good deal?

Stumbled across this while goofin' on Craigslist. Is this a good deal for this lathe?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/1022932899.html
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I believe it is a Reeves dirve machine. Looks like the ones I used in high school back in the 60s. My advice would be to ask to turn a bowl on it. You should get a pretty good feel for how reliable it will be. If you are satisfied it is solid then $600 is a good price for that size of lathe.

Terry

must be the season for old lathes... how about this one. Im tempted to go look at it
    http://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/1019681453.html
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Boy Tom that thing looks nice, the headstock is alittle different than I seen before.

Bob

John,

I had a Walker-Turner lathe for a while, which I just loved. The only reason I sold it was to get a lathe with a bigger swing. The thing was built like a tank.

One thing you should know about Walker-Turner lathes is that many of them had a spindle thread of 1" x 10 tpi, which is a bit of an oddball thread. If this particular lathe comes with a bunch of accessories, then it won't be such a big deal. But if you need to track down, say, a 1" x 10 tpi faceplate, it's a little bit difficult. This is not an insurmountable problem, but you should be aware of this.