Thread: Putting together some rencent threads.

Putting together some rencent threads.

I've been sitting on some Laser Tile for over a year. Selling some individual tiles and making single tile displays for craft shows. Nothing really to brag about.

But seeing Onur Cakir's recent post , some encouragement from Frank Corker and making vignette's, I thought I'd try my hand at doing a couple of murals.

Please tell me what you would have done different or can make them better. If you criticize the trim around the frame(my woood working skills can use some fine tuning), tell me how I can make a better frame.

Thanks!
    Anthony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Anthony Welch; 02-07-2009 at 4:47 AM.
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Anthony

The image is quite small. Can you re-save it closer to the original size and save it as a jpeg, then upload it again?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Anthony's going a bit shy I think and posted thumbnails (I hope he hadn't drinking when he posted them!). Just kidding, I think he's actually teatotal. Anyway these are other works that he's done, they were taken just before mounting and then in a display frame. I'm sure he will post the other two when he can and better ones than these, the ones I have were taken on an angle.
    Last edited by Frank Corker; 02-07-2009 at 8:54 AM.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Very nicely done Anthony. Job well done!

Hi Anthony,

Great work you've done ! I wanted to make wooden frames but i didnt have enough time for them. But i'll attend to a trade fair about construction on March and this time i'll make wooden frames too.

Its so so strange that on Bouguereau mural it seems you had same small banding problem like i had on same area !

What about sales ? What are your mural's prices ?
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

and did u used seam between tiles ? i see some dark lines between tiles. I didnt used any seam between tiles because i think it breaks image's integrity.
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

Hi Anthony, These look great! I've been inspired by the recent posts as well but haven't attempted anything yet. It looks to me like you didn't use grout between the tiles, but left the tabs on and that's creating the spacing. Is that correct? I think the frames make them look finished and my only thought to improve them would be to maybe make the boards a little bit wider. I'm not sure what size tiles you used though, so it might look more proportional in person.

Could you tell us what you mounted them on, and what adhesive you used to mount. Thanks for posting!
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

Anthony

Very nice work. On the frames, the narrow wood doesn't feature the art well enough. Have you considered using a ceramic border?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Sorry this is the original photo that Anthony should have posted. I forgot that he emailed it to me.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Oooh, nice! Couldn't really see the little ones.
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

Thank you all for your comments and I'll try and answer your questions a best I can.

-Sorry for ths small size photo. Every time I went to attach it it was too big. That was the size I got it to before it would attach. I'll try the jpeg thing next time since Frank has already posted it.

-Two size frames 1-48x30 2-30x24. On top of that I found a cheap fiberglass bathroom sheet that I cut to cover the boards. The trim, which is the most expensive part of making this, narrow because my intention is to sell the tile from the display and not sell the frame.

-The bigger frame is hinged together and pulled apart in an A-frame and set on another board w/casters so it can be moved around easily.

-The tiles themselves are secured with double sided foam tape. So as to get a putty knife behing them and remove. The bigger frames have a removable top molding to accomplish this.

-These are being displayed in a local Tile/Flooring/Furniture store. My intentions are to show what is possible with the tiles and customers make orders depending on what they want. Although they can buy the display itself.

-The photo of the deer shot at an angle is an experiment with store bought glossy tiles. I could not get acrylic paint to work and found shoe polish to work well. But it is a lighter image than what was produced with the Laser Tile. Also I can completely remove the polish with WD-40, so for it standing up to cleaners I am afraid it would wash out.

Thanks
    Anthony
    Last edited by Anthony Welch; 02-08-2009 at 9:36 AM. Reason: sp
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.