Thread: Wall mounted shop vacuum?

Blog Entries

Question Wall mounted shop vacuum?

I'd like to buy a wall mounted shop vac & am looking at the Bissell 12 amp,4 gallon vac ($200) & the Hoover 10 amp, 5 gallon vac ($160). Both from Amazon.
    Does anyone have any experience with either of these or with any other wall vacs, in the $200 & under range?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I have had the Hoover GUV for several years. Works fine for me. It gets messy if emptied while attached to the wall as a lot of debris falls out when removing the filter. The 30' hose reaches pretty much all around my shop.

Have you seen Rockler's wall mounted dust collector and 4" vac accessories?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21255

I'm sure this solution would provide much more CFM, which (if your in the shop) will be more effective/versatile than something with a 2" hose.

Probably more than $200 with various attachments, but might be worth consideration.

-kg

Wall mount shop vacuum

I have several vacuums in my basement shop in addition to a DC system. I have a wall mounted Sears unit with extended hose and attachments which I use primarily to clean up around my router table, band saw and drill press.
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

Costco had one around Christmas time. Haven't seen it the last couple of times I'v been in. It was a little more compact than the GUV and was around $180 or so.

Ok, just checked the website. Still available and $129. Have not compared it to the GUV or others.

I have three.

OK, I admit it, I am a shop vac, DC junkie.

I have the Hoover GUV...hanging on one side of my shop. It works fine, but seems to get a bit warm in the motor area. It also doesn't seem to have the suction I expected.

I also have two Shop Vac 'Hang Up's. One was free with a big shop vac, and the other was $40. I have one hung on the back of my drill press with a 4' hose, and it is very handy, since the DC doesn't go there. The other is in my garage and works fine to vacuum out the cars. I think their hose is 18'.

The Bissel takes 2 amps more than the GUV, so maybe it has a bit more suction. It is available at Costco now.

I got my GUV in Tenn. while on a trip for $99. Carried it in the back seat of my pickup for about 6,000 miles.

The GUV is a better unit than the Shop Vac, but a lot more expensive. They are all fairly noisy. None of them have the suction of a full size shop vac, and they both have the smaller hose. This being said, they are great for cleaning up, but I wouldn't use them for dust collection except for maybe a router or sander.

Rick Potter

I use a Sears 6HP Vac in my garage shop and have retrofitted a Hepa filter to it. I can certainly understand the benefits of a wall unit although unless it has a efficient filter, I believe you're pumping a lot of harmful dust through your work area, whether it's garage or basement. If it's a basement shop your sending it through the HVAC system for the house. I know there's lots of people who are anal about cleaning up after a work session(myself included) although w/o the proper filtration, you're just adding to the problem.

Mac

Shop vac junkies should investigate a mini-cyclone. I have the dust deputy from Oneida Air and it works great.

99% of dust, chips, etc go into the cyclone, add a Hepa filter to the vac and you get .3 Micron filtration. The layer of dust coating everything in my shop is gone.

Rigid has a 5 gal. wall hung unit. With the cyclone you would never need to empty it.

I'll add my $00.02 for the mini-cyclones.

OK OK, I will fess up

I said I was a shop vac junkie, and mentioned my three wall hung units....but I didn't fully confess, because we were only talking about the wall units.

Sob....I admit to having four more shop vacs. One is hooked to a Clearvue mini cyclone, and is great for router use on MDF. One is about 15 years old and is hooked to my chop saw permanently. Another is a metal canned Shop Vac, at least 20-25 years old, dry use only, that I used to use on the clear vue, till I realized how little power it really had. When Rockler had their sale at Christmas I got a 'quiet deluxe' model for $59. That's the above one on the Clearvue now.

Lastly there is the one I bought a week ago. I had to work on the wall furnace of a filthy rental house, and asked the renter to get out the vacuum so I could lay down on a semi-clean floor. They didn't have a working unit. It was a long way home, and I went to the nearest hardware store and got a $50 unit, that is now the designated rental house shop vac.

Actually I used to have two more. One I inherited from dad and gave to a friend, and the last was one of those tiny 1 gal. jobs they gave me with another purchase. It was handy for vacuuming the stairs in the house but it came up missing a few months ago.

This a semi-full confession of an out of control vac junkie, who also has four various DC units also. Anybody need one?

Rick Potter

Looks like Oneida has come out with a lighter weight dust Deputy that could probably be mounted next to Vac on wall. If you can find wall mounted Vac unit that can be retrofitted w/ Hepa filter, this could make a great overall tool.
    Mac

I'm saving my pennies for the one endorsed by our own Keith Outten on page 35 of the March/April FWW mag (Oneida Dust Cobra). Gonna put that on the wall and run 30' of hose. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it as a whole house vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Looks like Oneida has come out with a lighter weight dust Deputy that could probably be mounted next to Vac on wall. If you can find wall mounted Vac unit that can be retrofitted w/ Hepa filter, this could make a great overall tool.
    Mac
    Wow, that new Dust Deputy looks great. I have the original one attached to my ShopVac and it's great. I'd love to get the new light weight version to hook up to my Festool CT 22. Oh well, another tool added to my "need" list.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps