Thread: Recycled Cutting Board

Recycled Cutting Board

Our "old" kitchen (shown in its stunning glory in the first picture below) featured a cutting board built into the counter between the sink and the cook tops. It was handy for prep work, but difficult to keep clean since it was not "removable" in any easy sense of the word. Years of cooking grease from the previous owner was deeply embedded between the metal edging and the board. During the demolition for the kitchen renovation we undertook last summer, I saved that nice maple block for potential future use. Recycling has its place in what we do!

Last weekend, I took that old, greasy cutting board and rejuvinated it (with power tools...argh, argh, argh ...) so it could be put to use in the new kitchen as a prep board at the sink. It was redimentioned to fit in on the top of the undermount apron-front sink and now includes a walnut "thigh board" that one can use to hold it in place while working on it. No glue was used to fasten the walnut piece; just screws with appropriately elongated holes to allow for wood movement. The countersunk screw holes were filled with maple plugs before mineral oil was used to finish/refinish the whole piece. I would have liked to leave it a little wider, but this was the maxiumum I could fit through the FS350 and the drum sander wasn't yet on order...( )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim as usual another fine bit of work there. Even better is the reminder that we should not overlook the wood that we can and should recycle.

Very nice work!! What sink is that??
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    Very nice work!! What sink is that??
    Dan, it's an Elkay stainless, undermount, apron-front unit. These are not easy to find in stainless...most are enameled or ceramic, at least when we were searching. The dual sink motif is also not as common on this style sink. Dr. SWMBO wanted a double and it's worked out well. That said, I wish it had been a "big-little" arrangement instead of two equal sized bowls as some things are difficult to clean in these...like our largest skillet or the grates from the grill in the range.

I found a place up in New England that I was able to buy it at almost wholesale (same for the Kohler fixture) which saved hundreds of dollars on the project. I'm at my Dad's in Florida tonight, but if you need the contact, let me know and I'll forward/post it when I get back north in a couple of days. (Driving Dad up as he had surgery recently)

Thumbs up recyled

I love this type of stuff! I have so much wood that others deemed trash its not funny! Fine re-use of a nice piece!
    Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Jim, looks great! The walnut gives the board some nice contrast. And how 'bout that sink?!

I recently built a cutting board for my wife. I went to the store and asked a lady where the mineral oil was. When she pointed me to the laxative section of the Pharmacy, I promptly explained that I was building a cutting board (I bet she hear's this one all the time) and opted for walnut oil

Jason, this one has the mineral oil from that same isle...cheap...and effective. We use the 'special' blend on our soapstone, only because it's a little thinner and easier to apply quickly. But that costs a lot more for a bottle and I wouldn't "buy" it again when the two bottles that were included from the fabricator are done.

Thumbs up Mineral oil

I too have used mineral oil on cutting boards.. Works great and because it is made for human consumtion there is no problem.. also of course it will not go rancid like vegetable and other oils can.. I even used it on my most serious project for a cutting board here.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9622
    Regards
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Dan, it's an Elkay stainless, undermount, apron-front unit. These are not easy to find in stainless...most are enameled or ceramic, at least when we were searching. The dual sink motif is also not as common on this style sink. Dr. SWMBO wanted a double and it's worked out well. That said, I wish it had been a "big-little" arrangement instead of two equal sized bowls as some things are difficult to clean in these...like our largest skillet or the grates from the grill in the range.

I found a place up in New England that I was able to buy it at almost wholesale (same for the Kohler fixture) which saved hundreds of dollars on the project. I'm at my Dad's in Florida tonight, but if you need the contact, let me know and I'll forward/post it when I get back north in a couple of days. (Driving Dad up as he had surgery recently)
    I used a similar one from Kohler, but boy is it a ballbuster!! The sink is porcelin enamel cast iron and weighs 170 lbs dry. It took three people to wrangle this thing up a flight of stairs. I love it tho. It is quite a nice sink.

As far as cutting board oil, I pick it up at Linen & Things or at Bed Bath and Beyond. It is about $3 for a small bottle. That bottle will go a very, very long way.

Dan

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very nice Jim and Dan. Love the Farmer sink Dan
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/