Thread: Help on wine rack

Help on wine rack

I got talked into building a buffet for my sister-in-law this weekend. The buffet should not be a problem, but I am not sure how to go about building the wine rack. Anyone ever built one like the one in the picture below. Give me your ideas and suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would turn each of the shelves 45 degrees, this would keep the bottles from rolling around.

I built one that looked very close to your design. I made the grid out of an interlocked web of 1/2" panels cut as follows:

With edging on the front to hide the plywood edge.

Another option would be shallow dadoes in the vertical boards with narrow shelves in each riding in the dados.

Also, make sure the hole is big enough to accommodate a champagne bottle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 02-04-2009 at 10:26 AM.

woodworks

There is an episode of wooworks where DM built one similar to that (at 45 degrees.)

Should be able to see it at diynetwork.com

Jim

Degrees

Speaking of degrees; wine is not happy being stored in a dining room or kitchen at 72 degrees. Keep your wine happy. Store it in a celler or a fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Breckenridge View Post
    Speaking of degrees; wine is not happy being stored in a dining room or kitchen at 72 degrees. Keep your wine happy. Store it in a celler or a fridge.
    Absolutely right, Gary; storage is everything. Proper wine storage as analogous to proper stacking and stickering of fresh cut lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Breckenridge View Post
    +1
    Wine shipped in a hot truck in the summer or stored at room temperature will cook any wine. My wine storage is a frostless freezer with DIY wooden shelves on full extension slides controlled by an inexpensive outboard thermostat. You don't have to be a wine snob to enjoy the benefits of proper aging.