Thread: Cedar "fat boy" HF

Cedar "fat boy" HF

This fat HF is 10” x8” and has atleast 10 coats of gloss poly on it. Ever have one of those pieces that you could just not get finished? Every time I put a coat of poly on something would happen. I knocked it over once, had sags in it twice and was blotchy twice! Each coat took a bunch of wet sanding to get the defects out and then coat again. I originally intended to turn all the sap wood off of this rather large Cedar log just so I could have an all red piece. However once it reached this shape and size I noticed a lot of Blue mineral staining in the white areas. Since I kind of liked the shape and size anyway I went with it. After all the finishing and sanding the Blue has changed to Grey…Oh well…Bill…
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow - love all the colors! Great form and I think the finish was well worth the time and effort! Very nice work Bill! Seems like you have this hollow form thing down pretty good!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

WOW, that is AWESOME

Steve, I think we are a lot alike! Every time I turn a bowl or lidded box I just get plain anxious to break out the steel snake for another HF. These things are as addicting as turning itself...Bill...

Bill that is beautiful. Is that poly wipe on or spray? Really nice color, form and great finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bill this is getting to be a habit with you!! Wonderful form and color just an outstanding job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I would like to say that looks great. But that wouldn't even be doing justice to it. Outstanding---love the colors & the finish is unbelievable...
    Billy

Bill, Im with everyone on this one....WOW....that is beautiful
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Bernie, minwax gloss wipe on poly...Bill..

I love the form ..and love the poly finish. The poly really builds and buffs up nice. Great job!
    TB

Again very nice Bill, yes I really like the color and smell of that wood, and hate to loose it all, but that's what happens, still love turning it again and again, sniff sniff, I think I can smell it from here
    Have fun and take care

Absolutely beautiful!
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Great form, that is a nice piece of wood. Cedar is my favorite. well done

14. William Bolen
    Excellent job Bill . Very nice turning . You did a great job and the finish is teriffic. Most times if you have the patience to put multiple coats of poly on it shows up in a dramatically attractive turning and yours proves this. Congrats. Mitch