Thread: How to sharpen turning tools?

How to sharpen turning tools?

I just purchased the Wolverine system by Oneway and I have some questions. First one is grinder speed. I know that I have read or heard somewhere that slower is better, not according to Oneway. They recommend a 8" grinder turning at 3450 RPM. I have a 6" grinder that turns at 3450 RPM but their instructions says thats to slow.....comments please.

Next is the chose of stones and grit size. I have the white in a 100 grit but here again they say that should only be used for small turning tools. Is there one or two stones that will cover all the different tools?

And finally is the angle of the grind. The little tri-gauge I purchased recommends 35 degrees for a bowl gouge???????? Is that ALL bowl gouges? Shallow and deep fluted. What about the Ellsworth? I know that I have got that angle off over the last few month by just freehand grinding. what is the correct angle for it?

Thanks in advance. I am sure that I will get lots of help.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Hi Don

What you have should work fine. Go to the Oneway web site and download the vedios for sharpening.

If you remain uncertian, I know I do, then call Wes Jones at 770-972-6803 to see about some mentoring from a club member, Wes is the president of the Atlanta woodturners club and he should be able to get you pointed towards someone who can give you a little hand on help.

The AAW has a sharpeing vedio:

http://www.woodturner.org/products/v...amental_sharp/

That is a $25 vedio which covers sharpening ($35 for non-members).

I learned by trial and error. It took me a couple of years before I decided I was sharpening okay. Mind you I was sharpeing okay all along but I had my doubts.

Good Luck

I think you'll be OK with that setup, Don, though if you're spinning at 3400+ rpm, be sure to keep the water handy, use it often and more light passes across the grinder will be better than fewer heavy passes. As for the Ellsworth, there's a specilalized jig, which fits the Wolverine to maintain the proper grind angle for it. If you do a search on it here at SMC, I know I recall someone who actually made their own for it, or you can purchase the jig at most any of the main retailers.

The single best tip I've ever come across for maintaining the correct angle on a chisel is to keep a magic marker on my grinding bench. Slop up the business end of the chisel with the marker, stick it in the jig and lower it to the grinding stone. Then, just by hand, spin the wheel. Take a look at the end of the chisel and you'll clearly see if you need to adjust the jig back or forward to maintain the angle. Good luck with it and happy turning!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

[QUOTE=Don Farr]I just purchased the Wolverine system by Oneway and I have some questions. First one is grinder speed. I know that I have read or heard somewhere that slower is better, not according to Oneway. They recommend a 8" grinder turning at 3450 RPM. I have a 6" grinder that turns at 3450 RPM but their instructions says thats to slow.....comments please.
    Your grinder should be fine. The 3450 speed is good, you can't burn good HSS tools and if you're sharpening carbon steel tools, just be careful. I, also, have a 6" grinder because it was a freebie. I would prefer the 8", which I had before the present 6", because the tool bevel does not come out quite as concave. However, since you already have the 6" grinder, you'll do just fine with it.

Next is the chose of stones and grit size. I have the white in a 100 grit but here again they say that should only be used for small turning tools. Is there one or two stones that will cover all the different tools?

Your white stones are also okay. I have the blue ones myself, but they, like your white ones and the pink ones are all aluminum oxide. I think it's mainly different bonding materials that bind the abrasives together when the wheels are made up. I believe it makes a difference in how the wheels wear out as they are being used. The blue ones, again, I THINK, are just rougher (mine are 36 and 80 grit) compared to your white ones (or the pink ones for that matter).

And finally is the angle of the grind. The little tri-gauge I purchased recommends 35 degrees for a bowl gouge???????? Is that ALL bowl gouges? Shallow and deep fluted. What about the Ellsworth? I know that I have got that angle off over the last few month by just freehand grinding. what is the correct angle for it?

I don't know one degree from another as far as shearing performance goes. When I got my Wolverine jig, I set it to grind the same angle that Larry Hancock uses on his side grind gauge and I have been using that ever since.
    I could be wrong but I think the angle is not as important as the consistency of it all around the tool tip. The jig, of course, will take care of that.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree