Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reviews of JET 707410 10" Jointer/Planer Combo?

I have the Jet 10'' and wrote a review http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1563180 I'm still fairly happy with the purchase. I moved it to a custom stand which knocked the wings out of coplaner I called Jet on instructions to re-align the beds and they sent em over it was very straight forward. I just used it again today actually, after getting used to the change over. It goes fairly fast and is second nature by now.

If you're ok with using outfeed (and most likely infeed) rollers for jointing anything over 4' then you're set.

-jeremy

Good to see others have had good luck with Jet's entry level 10" jointer/planer as well. And what a great price, for $215! It's been a little over a year since I last posted (wow, time flies!) and although I haven't used it for a few months the machine still works well. One of the last things I made with it is this key holder for our foyer. Started with a 2" thick piece of walnut that was pretty warped (cut from a co-worker's tree, air dried to about 14% moisture content) got it down to 1-1/4" with the jointer/planer and then used my 1/8" band saw blade to cut it out. You can see the resulting very smooth finished product.

Key holder 1.jpgKey holder 2.jpg

For those interested in jointer/planer combo machines, I can highly recommend an Inca. Swiss machine so that should tell you something about its precision. One sold on another forum recently for less than $1000. New they were well over $3K when they were last sold. I've had one for more than 20 years. I paid $950 for it and am the third owner of a machine that is probably around 30 years old now. If you buy rough hardwood as I do, having a 10" jointer is highly desirable. Mine has a 1-1/2 HP Baldor motor, belt drive, which is adequate if you keep cuts at 1/16" or less, even in hard maple. Minus the motor, the machine only weighs about 75 lbs, yet it feels rock solid on it's 25 lb mahagony stand. Takes up very little space in my shop and change over time is about 30 seconds. I've put one $20 planetary gear belt in it in all those years and have face jointed and planed thousands of bf with it. I now have a 12" Foley-Belsaw planer/molder (guess I like combo machines) that I use primarily for planing because its big 5HP motor can power through anything, but the Inca with it's 10" jointer will remain a permanent resident in my shop. If you ever come across an Inca combo machine, I'd recommend you give it serious consideration.
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 01-31-2011 at 4:08 PM.

I bought this over the Black Friday holiday this year. It's a piece of trash. Aluminum/ plastic construction. Jointer fence was cupped. Jointer Infeed table has a nice wobble in it. So does the planer Infeed. 3 of the lockdown knobs were broken. It's a great product. Turns my rough lumber into trapezoids so I can have more practice with my hand planes.

Oh Jet... Ill be saving my money for a Hammer.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

There is a significant difference between the 10" Jet benchtop and 12" Jet. Like a few hundred pounds. 10" Jet weighs 73.9 lbs. 12" Jet weighs around 500 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Oh Jet... Ill be saving my money for a Hammer.
    I honestly though Jet was a reliable brand. That's why I bought in the first place. Months later, fighting with the Jet rep they finally agreed to a refund and field destroy. Needless to say the motor burnt out. I guess it didn't like being in a shop made spindle sander. . I was able to get enough money from the scrap yard to score some sand paper though.