Thread: VFD Question for 5hp machine

VFD Question for 5hp machine

I am getting a jointer/planer combo unit with teh following motor specs:

4kw (5.3HP )
    230V
    14.5 Amps
    3 PH 60 Hertz

When shopping for a VFD I only need to ensure that it will take 220v input and control a 3 PH 5HP motor correct?

As far as VFD's go I only know of the Teco FM50 and the Eaton MVX9000. I'm sure there are others, but these will work if rated correctly I presume.

Very new to the VFD thing, just want to make sure I dont get in over my head.

Thanks

I just looked at FactoryMation and apparently they dont have one with single phase input and rated for 5hp. I could have overlooked it but I didnt see it.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

That's the way I was reading it...

I am looking at this one too..

http://www.walkeremd.com/MVX9000.htm

However, if I read the last bullet right, I don't think you can power a 5hp 3 phase with single phase power.

Well according to that, it seems so. There are a couple others here who know alot more about these than I do. Go to the turners forum and check out a thread about a Vicmarc Bare Bones Build. Also Bob Hallowell reworked his lathe with a FVD so he may offer some better insight as well.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Once you get to 5hp, a VFD, either single phase input or a derated 3ph input is going to be expensive. It might be cheaper to replace the motor with a single phase. You'll have to do the cost analysis and decide what's the best option.

Mike

This won't answer you question as to the VFD because the only one I am familar with is on a 3HP motor but what is the advantage to a VFD for a planer/jointer?

If you used a static converter it is likely under $100 (haven't priced any in a while) and you still net over 4 HP.

Just a thought.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Crutchfield View Post
    I am getting a jointer/planer combo unit with teh following motor specs:

4kw (5.3HP )
    230V
    14.5 Amps
    3 PH 60 Hertz

When shopping for a VFD I only need to ensure that it will take 220v input and control a 3 PH 5HP motor correct?

As far as VFD's go I only know of the Teco FM50 and the Eaton MVX9000. I'm sure there are others, but these will work if rated correctly I presume.

Very new to the VFD thing, just want to make sure I dont get in over my head.

Thanks
    Hi Calvin, it sounds like you're purchasing a Euro planer/jointer.

Is this correct, and if so what is the rating on the motor ie S1 or S6 etc?

Also is the use commercial or hobby?

This may affect the size of the drive you need.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Calvin, it sounds like you're purchasing a Euro planer/jointer.

Is this correct, and if so what is the rating on the motor ie S1 or S6 etc?

Also is the use commercial or hobby?

This may affect the size of the drive you need.

Regards, Rod.
    Ding Ding. Tell him what he's won Vanna... Yes Rod, you are correct. It is a Felder AD741 with a 4kw 3 phase motor.

It will be used for hobby use only. One man shop, maybe a friend or two along the way. I am not sure if it is S1 or S6.

I talked to Paul at Walker EMD and he is recommending the Lenze AC Tech SCF Freq Inverter model SF250Y.

Congrats on the new iron purchase. Now for my next item. Call the dealer that sold the machine. Any machinery dealer should be able to assist with the electrical specs, and what equipment is needed to power it. Most have engineers on staff to assist with such items.
    Stay safe and watch those fingers.

Are you sure you cannot get the machine with single-phase motor??? This is usually an option! Please remember that any VFD will be permanently attached to one machine only. Future 3ph machines will require a separate VFD.

Perhaps you need to look at a 5hp Rotary Phase Converter, which will power any machine up to 5hp you run wiring to. Commercial models such as the Arco Roto-Phase Type A I have used for years, will run up to three 5hp machines if started one-at-a-time! In a one-man shop this solves the problem of 5hp 3ph machine and up to 5hp 3ph DC running at the same time.

If either of these solutions gives you sticker shock, look at the 5hp *panels* available, which provide everything except the 5hp 3ph motor. Used 3ph motors are *way-cheap* compared to brand new! This solution is really worth a look-see!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Are you sure you cannot get the machine with single-phase motor??? This is usually an option!
    The machine I am getting is a local used machine. I ordered the micro drive today. I only have one 3 phase machine and really only plan on one. I am pretty well set on all my equipment now and should another 3 phase must have come along i'll get another the vfd.