Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut bowl from DNA soak

Walnut bowl from DNA soak

Tried my first bowl from DNA soak. Soaked overnight on Jan 1, wrapped in brown paper until turned on Feb 8. Seemed to work great. 8" x 1".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick Prosser; 02-10-2009 at 1:16 AM. Reason: typo

Rick,
    I haven't tried a bowl yet but I hope my first TURNS out as good as this one!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

The bowl looks great Rick! Nice form, nice color and you did a really good job of centering the blank! So, what do you think of the DNA process now that you have taken a piece all the way through?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice bowl Rick! I use the DNA method exclusively.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Rick, thats awesome looking, love it!! That DNA stuff really works doesnt it? Got anymore coming soon??
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Rick, thats a nice looking bowl.. love the color and shape and the thinness ( if thats a word ) anyway good job
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Looks great, you must have the process figured out.

Looks great Rick. Well done. I do the same process and I have only lost 2 bowls in 3 yrs.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

DNA Soak

I dont do alot ofturning hate to wait months on bowls what is dna soak. Sorry if it is a stupid question
    "Don't Sweat the Petty Things and Don't Pet the Sweaty Things "

Good job, Rick. It looks like I need to invest in some DNA and bucket with a lid. That would be a good use of this $30 Lowes gift card I got for Christmas.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Paul, The dna soak is done by rough turning a bowl from green wood down to about 10% thickness of the dia. Then soaking in denatured alcohal for 24-48 hrs, then wrap in paper and check the weight until it stops losing about 3-4 wks. then finish turn. Wally

I get very little wet walnut coming through my shop. The one time I dna-soaked it, it turned the solution dark. No surprise when you think of what is happening but it raises a question from me.... Have you ever had dark DNA solution turn another species darker? Could this dark solution ruin the look of some really pale maple or something?

Thanks for your help,
    Steve Kubien

Let's see if I can cover all the questions...

So far, I think the process is great. The idea of having a bunch of black walnut to turn - but having to wait months and months for it to dry is tough.
    I am a big fan of immediate gratification

I have 4 or 5 more bowls that are ready to finish, so we will see how the rest go. I am anxious to see how the larger bowls "turn" out

I got my DNA and bucket from Lowes. My largest bowls won't fit, so I have to find another solution for them - maybe a large plastic storage box or something.

The DNA did turn brown from the walnut, but I tested a piece of red cedar with light sap wood, and it did not seem to darken it.

What did you use to finish the bowl?

Looks great Rick! I started using DNA about two years ago and haven't had a failure yet.