Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut bowl from DNA soak

DNA is great

I have only used it once for some stoppers at Christmas time. It worked great, I just wish I knew I could reuse the DNA. I dumped it all out. I know better now and will have some rough bowls soaking before the weekend is over. I was just going to check the moisture of the wood, once it stabilizes then I would finish them. Does that work as well as weighing them?
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Miller View Post
    I have only used it once for some stoppers at Christmas time. It worked great, I just wish I knew I could reuse the DNA. I dumped it all out. I know better now and will have some rough bowls soaking before the weekend is over. I was just going to check the moisture of the wood, once it stabilizes then I would finish them. Does that work as well as weighing them?
    If your moisture meter is accurate, then yes, it'll work as well as weighing them with an accurate scale.

Rick, Very pretty, does the DNA give it a little darker appearance than if you did not use it? I have not tried the DNA soak yet, but it looks like the tone of the wood is real nice after the soak.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

The finish is friction polish - until I decide what the final finish will be.

I just turned a piece of cedar after DNA soak, and the brown DNA did not seem to darken the color. I did not even notice a shade change after turning the outside layer.

I haven't noticed any darkening from re-used DNA for the last year or so even on lighter woods and some of the stuff I'm using is pretty dark. The DNA will become diluted slightly with each use so replenishing with fresh DNA from time to time becomes necessary. I'm having no failures using this method (other than due to pilot error )