Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon/Nicholson rasp comaprison photo.

Tangs are soft,anyway so as not to break. Maybe they are extremely soft now. This is bad news.Nicholson was my favorite file.

FYI - This company has the Nicholson's for $32 and $38. That is a great price in today's market. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...=Cabinet+Rasps

Also, for what it is worth ... I put off getting the 49 and 50 Nicholson's for a long time because of price. Finally, one day I pulled the trigger. That has been one of the better decisions. Taking a short cut, like I did was a $20 Rasp that "looked" comparable was not worth it. I didn't know it at the time ... but now it's obvious. The random teeth and quality of the Nicholson is unmatched by any other I've used to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Moskowitz View Post
    While we are on the subject Grobet files are made in either switzerland or india. make sure you get the swiss made ones.
    Joel,

Yes, the files that Pete Taran has at Vintage Saws are from Switzerland. Not a good sign that they are starting to move to India, hope that doesn't grow for them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Wow, not real glad to see this. It likely saved me some money though. I have recently been considering buying a Nicholson #50 rasp. Guess I will have to look for something else.
    Jim,

You might consdier the french cut rasps from The Best Things, they are good, much better than the Nicholsons, but at a higher cost.

I have 2 of these that I bought, and will try to get more profiles when finance permits...but I will definitely be getting some more of them.

Speaking of Gorbet, they make a round bastard rasp that looks like it would be very useful, and I saw that Pete Taran now carries those in 8" and 10" that look very useful, and reasonably priced.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Moskowitz View Post
    While we are on the subject Grobet files are made in either switzerland or india. make sure you get the swiss made ones.

Don't ANY firms that outsource impose QA?!?!

BugBear

5. Quote Originally Posted by paul womack View Post
    Don't ANY firms that outsource impose QA?!?!

BugBear
    It's not about Q+A it's about price. the cost of steel is the same worldwide. these Grobet files are all machine made so the only difference in cost is minor labor costs. So the real savings and the price difference comes from a specific corporate decisions to cut a few corners and come out with a lower priced product. Grobet at least understands that not every customer is looking for cheap - so they are maintaining their Swiss factories.

For those seeking rasps, don't forget Joel's offerings at Tools for Working Wood. I have several, and they work great. (Sometimes Joel shows too much restraint.)
    AKA - "The human termite"

Interesting. I'm just starting to slide down the saw sharpening slope. My local sharpener sold me some files out of what he uses as he doesn't stock these for retail. They are Bachos - never heard of them but they seem well made. Sorry to hear about the Nicholsons - I have some older ones that need replacing.

George, the sharpening service I'm referring to is Sure Set Saw in Chesapeake. I used them back in the 80s when I had a shop and have been very pleased to find that the owners sense of quality and fairness has passed to his son.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    They are Bachos - never heard of them but they seem well made.
    The Bahco files are good, the ones I have are made in Portugal.

Pete Taran used to carry those at Vintage Saws. He now carries the Grobet, Swiss made.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Blog Entries
    Didn't Bacho used to be Sandvik?

jim

Bahco used to be Sandvik

and Sandvik used to be E A Berg, shark brand, Eskilstuna, Sweden

I just talked to my local supplier and found that no one in the US has them, and that they can't get the Bahco fine cabinet rasp in lots less than 10. And it takes a month from the factory.

Bruce