Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has a pc in the shop?

1. Who has a pc in the shop?

As in your workshop? It all started with A/C for the workshop (two car garage) and now that it's comfortable enough to hang out, A stereo has been added, and I even built a stool to sit on. Now I'm moving a spare pc into the workshop for those times I need to reference something.
    But where does it end? The only logical progression points to a fold out cot and a refrigerator.

Well I have it pretty good ... no cars ever go into my shop. I have a small fridge (have had it longer than i've had any shop). I also have A/C. Last month I installed a nice big heater. A few weeks ago, I moved my wireless router so I could get better signal to the shop and put an old laptop out there. The next stop may be a printer so I can print out patterns or part lists, etc. I also have a sink out there.

Having the computer in the shop is a BOON, by the way. I do almost all my designs in SketchUp and having to run into the house in the middle of a focussed building operation to find out a measurement I forgot to print out is frustrating and stalling. So that's the main purpose I put one out there. I don't think I'd buy a machine to put out there, but thankfully I have plenty of leftover systems to pick through.

I'm also planning on getting a TV out there someday - once we replace one of the house ones, I think. That's a ways off.

After that, I'll i'd need is a toilet and a microwave. I'd never have to go in the house! :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

My shop had a small room in one corner when I moved in, so I insulated it separately, added a window into the shop and put a small office in there. Its roughly 8x6 and has a PC and the shop stereo. If I had a bathroom out there, I'd actually make it my work office so that I could get out of the house.

And I do have a fridge out there, but there's nothing in it since I've pretty much stopped drinking soft drinks and don't think its a good idea to drink beer in the shop.

I carry a notebook out pretty often, with a wireless router I can access the web, etc. Pretty handy for a lot of things as the others mentioned.
    WP

I suppose this is not fair since mine is a sign shop, where I do some woodworking too, but I have 3 PC's, TV on one of them, and a CD stereo,
    but if I need a bathroom I have to walk down the hall, to eat go down the stairs.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I-tunes in the shop

I put an old laptop in mine and a set of speakers to listen to classic rock on I-tunes over the web. As I finish my renovation I will probably use it more for surfing, although I have my computer room very close to the shop. I also have AC and heat; time to stop suffering the temperatures of the CA Central Valley now that I am in my 60s.

I put in a TV this fall and already have a full size frig with my collection of beers. Never have any while woodworkiing though. I have a stereo/radio and one day will have heat. No computer yet.

I have a 5 x 10 office and I built it to house the computer. I put in a desk with 2 pen drawers and a 2 drawer file cabinet. I have a microwave and a small dorm fridge. It has a window to outside. The shop does not, well, it does have 3 very small windows in the garage door, hardly worth mentioning. The computer is old, PIII 500MHz running windows 98. I bring in my laptop [P4 2.8GHz, XP] and use my cell phone for a high speed modem. I need the computer for normal operation of my business/shop. I use it to run eCabinets, to do CAD drawings, write contracts/proposals, talk on forums to get info and to order parts/tools off the internet. No TV, but I have satallite radio.

I have a computer set aside for the shop, but I don't have a place to put it yet. I doubt that I'll have a need for a TV out there. I do have a fridge that needs to go out there, but it is for storing finishing goods in. (It doesn't work.) I also have a place in the wall for a PTAC a/c heater to go. Hoping I can find a motel remodeling that I can get one cheap from. If not, I have found heat pump units for about 800.00. No running water allowed according to the covenants for this sub division. Seems the original owners of the land didn't want multiple families living on one property. No MIL buildings. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

PC, Stereo, Fridge, Motorcycle, Car, home storage, dog hair, dehumidifier, I've got it all in my shop... except decent insulation and heat
    fledgling weekend warrior

It's not really a fair comparison but right now my shop is much more of a computer shop than a woodworking shop so right now I have a couple of servers, an HTPC I'm working on for a client, 3 laptops I'm working on for my day job and a veritable museum of old computers and parts dating back to about 1978. Don't even get me started on gaming systems. Now that I'm thinking about it if anybody knows of a source for static column zips I could use 2 megs worth..............

I have wireless internet in the shop I access with the laptop. I have a stereo with Sirius satellite radio, forced air heat, central air conditioning, cable television, and my favorite is my late sixties Pepsi machine filled with soda and beer, works great.

I do everything but sleep and cook in my shop, I eat many meals there too, just order out, or the wife brings it out for me.
    What you don't do with your head you'll have to make up for with your feet.

PC in my shop office

3 computers. One to draw, one to program, and one to run my cnc milling machine. Non of them on line. Heat, A/C, hot and cold running water, spetic system, no toilet but I live in the country so you know what that means, thinking about adding one for visitors. Next up is a couch, so my hounds have a place to watch the action from.

Blog Entries
    I have a near-dead laptop with a wireless card out there. It powers on, boots up Win2K, opens a browser and goes to Radio Paradise for internet music. That is its sole function and it can't do much more. I keep it in a cupboard and leave the door just a bit ajar when it is running.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler