Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has a pc in the shop?

I bought a used Lampshade Imac to run my music through. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a wifi system with no password in the Hood, so ....I am bad. I Started poaching. Now I have installed a wifi card in the Imac. ANyway I just use it for checking the Creek and listening to music. Since my wife cannot stand my choice in music nor my stereo equipment collection, I have moved it all to the shop. I have Ten speakers and 4 amps running the place. Probably don't need to heat the room they are in.

Lightbulb

In this shop, I have a home office with a door to the shop. Better than a PC in the shop, to me.
    My compooter junk is inside where heating and AC is, but away from the mess in the shop.
    I "pipe" music out there from a stereo set-up in the office and have a long range remote that works through walls up to 150' from the signal to IR receiver aimed at the components.

I made it clear I had two prerequisites. One was a shop. The other, a room for my compooter junk. She has made sure I've always had those two things.
    Cars live outside.
    And she will not allow anyone to disturb me when machines are running.
    She has seen too many bloody things in the trash to let someone distract me. Up to a half sawn off little finger from my band saw mishap. That was gory.
    I'm lucky in many ways. Wounds heal, but my wife is one in a million!

I have an old PC for the shop. CPU is in the living room. Monitor in my wife's "junk room" (she calls it her office, but it's not like you can walk in it) There's a keyboard somewhere, I think. And more mice than you can shake a stick at. As soon as my shop is built the computer will go in it. Somewhere.

2 1/2 car garage split down the middle. Heated and AC on one side. Do all my reloading and gun hobby there. Other half is for wood working, with heat only. Router in house drives laptop and a desktop that has a wireless antenne attached to it. TV in both halves. Surround and DVD in AC'd part.

I really want a computer in mine. I'm considering just running a video cable and mouse and keyboard down there so I can leave the PC upstairs away from the mess. I use sketchup quite a bit and it would be very handy to have in the shop.

Here is mine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/chuckinp...mputerCabinet#

The cabinet is filtered to keep the dust out of the components.

Blog Entries

work

if i had a pc and tv in the shop i would not have any thing to do at work john t

South-central PA (30 min W of Gettysburg)
    Yep, a laptop - old but functional kinda like me - with a wireless connection to the house. I'm trying to find a small footprint recliner so that me and the crapped out back can take a load off for 5-10 minutes at a time.