Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheapest 12 gauge cord reel and 220 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    Yes Roger, your analogy is pretty accurate. The "Thermal" part of a Thermal-magnetic breaker is based only on the temperature buildup within the breaker itself. If your load center was located inside of a freezer, then all of your circuit breakers would increase their trip points. For example, a 20 amp breaker would not trip until the current reached, say, 25 or 30 amps--regardless what temperature the rest of the circuit was operating at.

A common problem I encounter in my line of work is where a portable load center is placed out in the hot sun, and circuit breakers begin tripping at only 10 or 15 amps. I have also seen situations where the heat from an adjacent circuit breaker causes nearby circuit breakers to trip prematurely, even though their own circuits are not near capacity. (Hydraulic-magnetic breakers are less temperature dependent).

So no, the circuit breaker has absolutely no knowledge that the downstream circuit is operating above its rated temperature.

I am not sure if this is what you meant in one of your statements or not, but as the wires get hot, their resistance will increase very slightly, and the current will decrease, but only by a very tiny amount.
    Yes that is exactly what I was asking, thanks for the response.
    Ever wonder what happens if you get scared 1/2 to death twice ?

I don't know about cheap but I just bought 25 ft of (Black SOOW 600 VAC Service Cord 12/3 Awg, .60" OD) electrical cable from mcmastercar for about $44. This is to replace the 10ft cord on my cabinet saw which is too short.

~mark

+1 for the Rockler 12 gauge on sale. Easily converts to 240V if so desired as most flexible cable works up to 600V (printed on jacket). Obviously heat concerns still apply.

Blog Entries
    I've got 2 of the Harbor Freights that look just like the Griz. On sale $35. Regular about $60.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Might search for surplus Appleton Reelites, first class cord reels at a price guaranteed to cause a coronary but sometimes can get lucky & get on at a good price.In otherwords, they are real expensive but worth looking for surplus, fleabay, auctions .....

http://www.appletonelec.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Might search for surplus Appleton Reelites, first class cord reels at a price guaranteed to cause a coronary but sometimes can get lucky & get on at a good price.In otherwords, they are real expensive but worth looking for surplus, fleabay, auctions .....

http://www.appletonelec.com/
    I took a quick look at the Appleton catalog.

The Reelcraft stuff is available from the factory with larger gauge cord. That's not a knock on the Appleton, but I'd buy the Reelcraft first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cremers View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm sure my buddy will install the right receptacle and when I'm running the machine for more than a few minutes I'll pull the cord all the way out.
    Jeff
    The heat produced by a coiled power cord, and the speed with which it's produced, can be pretty impressive. If you're running a machine pulling any significant amperage at all, you should pull the cord out at all times.