Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are burls a regional phenomenon?

Are burls a regional phenomenon?

I read about all of these wonderful burls that people find and in the year that I have been turning I have looked around this area constantly for burls with no joy. I have a couple of tree trimmers looking for them - no joy. My Mom owns about 90 acres of woods and while I have not surveyed all 90 where I have been - you guessed it - no joy.

Is the bacteria or whatever causes these beautiful aberrations regional?

Toney

Toney....I don't think it's regional......I had a huge one given to me here.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Burl wood is a type of fast growing, abnormal growth found on some trees. Burl wood grows because the tree has experienced some sort of environmental stress or damage. This is often caused by either a fungal attack or an attack by insects.
    The number of trees that produce burl wood is quite low. In addition, certain areas tend to create more burl wood than others, because all or many of the trees in a particular location are likely to be attacked by the same fungus or insects. Certain species also tend to be more susceptible to attacks and, therefore, more likely to develop burl wood. For this reason, certain types of burl wood are more rare and prized than others.
    Don't go thinking that I'm smarter than I am, I simply cut and pasted from an article.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Re:

I will say that in the center of that burl I got there was a small worm infested area that was decayed. Was this the start of the burling process? I don't know but seems likely.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek

Blog Entries
    What ever you do, don't just cut a burl from a tree. That will kill the tree. Look for downed trees for burls or just harvest the whole tree.

Yet more info.

A burl is a wartlike, deformed growth on the trunk or root and sometimes even the branches of a tree, caused by (1) an injury to, or (2) and infection in, the tree just under the bark, or (3) the existance of an unformed bud which has all the genetic material necessary to grow a full branch, or even a whole tree, but which for some reason did not grow properly. In any case, the result is that the tree cells divide and grow excessively and unevenly in a process somewhat analogous to cancer cells in a mammal. Burls are sometimes called tumors on wood, although I'm not aware of their ever being fatal. Trees with burls continue to grow otherwise normally.

Continued growth follows the contour of the original deformity, producing all manner of twists, swirls and knots in the wood fiber. Usually, this results in wood that has a spectacular pattern that can be used to great effect in woodworking, and sometimes it is also accompanied by the creation in the burl of dormant buds which create "eyes" that make the burl even more spectacular when worked.

Burls come in all sizes and shapes from golf-ball and smaller to hundreds of pounds of massive growth on the side of a large tree. Burls as large as 4 feet by 8 feet have been reported as have trees with hundreds of small burls. On really large trees, such as the redwood, burls commonly exist that are large enough to be used to create veneer. Burl veneer frequently does not stay flat after cutting and has to be moistened and clampled flat before and/or during application.

"Cat's Paw" and "cluster burl" are a couple of commonly identifed types of burl figure. Cat's paw is frequently found in cherry and cluster burls are found in a number of species. Most often, burls have no sub-designation and occur in a large number of species. Common burl species include redwood, oak, ash, maple, madrone, elm and walnut. Some exotics with very popular burls are mappa (poplar burl), thuya and imbuya, and there are MANY more.

Support the Creek

it is regional. my area has hundreds of burls. other places i have been have none. costal areas where it is cold get burls, those have very different colors than usual burls. i think it also has to do with the time period. there are lots of historical trees in my area that are covered with burls, and no trees under 50yrs that have them. some areas i have been old trees are clean and young trees have tons of burl. it depends on the area. and i think that some of the things that form them travel over the years.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

John,

Thanks for the research.

Toney

Curtis,

I think it's a just a natural event that can happen anywhere.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Warning - thread hijack to follow. I have been trying to locate a red mallee burl. Most websites seem to be way out of date. Anyone have a supplier that I could order from, hopefully a website. I have searched, but the same couple of out of date sites are the only ones that I find.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Warning - thread hijack to follow. I have been trying to locate a red mallee burl. Most websites seem to be way out of date. Anyone have a supplier that I could order from, hopefully a website. I have searched, but the same couple of out of date sites are the only ones that I find.
    PM sent...............

I don't know if its regional but on my drive to school everyday I see about 100 burls. Sometimes several on each tree. I don't know what they are perhaps ill take a picture one day. I wish I could just pull out my chainsaw.

it can happen anywhere but it is more popular in some places. just like you chances of getting shot or mugged are higher in the city, but it can happen anywhere. the conditions in some spots are just really prone to burls. i have also found that with the hiking and camping i have done across PA that areas where it has been logged out in the last 50 years, dont seem to have many burls if any. but areas where there are older trees seem to have more.

if Alex and i both see loads of burls every day and Toney doesnt see any on 90 acres they must be a somewhat regional occurance
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I have cut small burls off of tree with out killing them. If it is around the whole trunk then it will kill it. Many burls will grow on limbs and out of broken limbs whe the tree repairs itself. In Australia many of the burls are cut off the tree and the tree lives on to create another burl. So some knowledge goes a long way in harvesting any wood, all woodlots need thinning and harvesting to keep the wood lot healthy and growing quality trees. The burls are considered junk when the lumber companies come in and harvest timber so they just get left in the woods or one the landing for the owner to get rid off. My cousin is having 57 acres select cut and there will be a ton of burls left for me. I talked to the logger and he is going to bring them all up to the landing for me and I can haul them away when I need to!!

Curtis, I have been all over the world and there are burls every where, some places have more than others. A burl can be very small and not seen from the ground. Some of the burls may be 50 to 60 feet in the air, also some oaks and other trees have burls grow underground.

Expierience is the best teacher.......

Good luck with burls and if anyone wants to get some from me send me a PM and we can work some thing out.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Toney,

I don't life very far from you, I'm in Liberty Indiana just 15 miles south or Richmond. I do a lot of hiking in the area, Whitewater State Park, Brookville Recreation area, and I have seen quite a few burls. Nearby in Oxford Ohio, home of my alma mater, Miami University, a couple of weeks ago I was hiking on one of the college trails and saw an oak burl that must have been ten feet from top to bottom, and 15 feet across. Keep looking, you will find them, unfortunately for me the ones I find are protected.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.