Thread: Tormek VS. Tormek

Tormek VS. Tormek

I went to my local woodworking supply today to look at the Tormek. They had the T7 and the still had a few older model 2006's My question is what are the differences between the two. The older one are on sale for $300 less than the T7? I think the older ones are a deal if there is not much difference.
    Dave

There isn't much of a difference between the two machines. However, pay close attention to the accessories that are included with the two packages. The T7 comes with accessories that are all-but-essential. When the T7 was released, the former model plus "missing" accessories was about equal in price to the T7.

Good luck.

I'm with David. I've upgraded two items that are now standard on the new T7. The support arm with the fine adjustment and the new style truing tool. Also the horizontal support was added as an included fixture shortly after I wrote in on my owners card that it should have been part of the kit. You can't use certain jigs without it. One thing I haven't upgraded yet is the improved plane blade jig. It seems to be a much better deal now than when I bought it.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Well after a little more research I found that the older model has 3 accessories not included. The sq edge jig, improved truing tool and the stone grader. which equal $153.00. there are no differences in the machines themselves. (the later ones have all the upgrades.) Total price for the older model plus accessories is $452. A $138.00 savings over the T7. Plus I think there is in upgrade for the truing tool saving another 23 bucks. Thats enough to get the planer/jointer jig. I just cant decide.

Dave

Dave,

It's still a tough decision, but the upgrade version of the truing tool is only useful if you have the old truing tool. Neither new nor old truing tool were included with the 2000.

To make your decision even harder, the 2000 is covered by a 3 year warranty while the T-7 is covered for 7 years.
    Jeff Farris

Dave,

If you go for the 2006 I have an unused jointer planer jig I'd like to sell.

George

George's Planer Blade Attachment will work no matter which system you choose. All accessories fit and work exactly the same on the 2000 and the T-7.

Hey, George, where are you in SWMO? I'm about 12 miles north of Springfield.
    Jeff Farris

Hi Jeff:

Am I correct in saying that the 2 machines are the same, and the old one has the updates? And is the old style diamond tool included in the 2006?
    Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bureau View Post
    Hi Jeff:

Am I correct in saying that the 2 machines are the same, and the old one has the updates? And is the old style diamond tool included in the 2006?
    Thanks
    Dave
    I am assuming that you're looking at the 2006 at a Rockler store. If that is right, then I can confirm that for the most part the machines are identical. The powder coat paint on the T-7 is better than what was used on the 2006. Other than that, the machines are mechanically identical. The T-7 has the SE-76 Square Edge Jig included, instead of the SVH-60 Straight Edge Jig. It is a big improvement in design and capacity. The 2006 DOES NOT include either diamond truing tool.
    Jeff Farris

Just realized that my statement about Rockler is somewhat cryptic.

Rockler bought all of our remaining 2006 inventory when the transition was taking place. They used them for a "Black Friday" promotion the day after Thanksgiving and a few stores have some left.
    Jeff Farris

Thanks Jeff. yes it is at a rockler store

Dave

Jeff, I'm in Kimberling City. We met at the Woodturners of SWMO meeting when you did the demo. Good demo BTY.

Dave, The planer blade attachment came with the package when I purchased the 2006 but my jointer planer has Tersa blades, thus no need for the jig.

George

I ended picking up the T7 with the woodturners kit, hand tool kit, and the planer/jointer jig for $1000. Thats less than it would have cost me fot the 2006 and upgrades, and the other jigs.
    thanks for all the help.

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

George, post that planer/jointer jig in the classifieds. you should be able to sell that easy.
    thanks

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!